1996 GTS Needs Engine

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

JDusza

Hi. I have a 1996 GTS that needs an engine. Everything else looks pretty good and the craft might be salvageable if I knew what I was looking for.
So my question is: when searching for a replacement engine what are my options?
Do I need to find the exact same thing or can I change year, model, etc.?
I am familiar with outboards and how some power heads fit across different models.
Are SeaDoos similar and how do I identify what I need to find?
Thank you,
J

If the crankshaft is good all you need to do is a top end. I don't do complete engines unless they need it. New crankshafts are hard to come by right now even used have backlogs.

Spin the bearings and feel for roughness and then turn the bearing slowly and put pressure on them to feel for small bumps while rotating.. Pull the connecting rods 90degrees from the cranks position (out and in) There should be no slop or movement. Roll the connecting rods around the shaft... they should be smooth all the way round. Visually inspect the bearing conditions that you can see. Look for rust worn parts etching, particles etc.... Good Luck !

Thank you for the reply. This engine is really done. The owner thought the starter was bad but the pistons were frozen. (It doesn't start. It must be the starter.) I freed it up and put in the new stater that the owner had acquired but it still doesn't want to spin. Smokes the battery cables. I can't get enough out of it to get a good compression test. When it spins, it burps an oily, milky mess out of the intake manifold and fuel pump puffer port. When I take this apart bolts are going to break; head bolts, magneto cover bolts, etc. It's not going to crack open and be resealable. I'd have to drill and tap my way through winter. The only reason the starter went in is because the mounts', exhaust and starter bolts are big and can take a wrench.
I'm not interested in this kind of work.
Thank you, though.
J

Yep you need a complete rebuild with crank and all. When I get an engine like that I send it out for a rebuild if I have time to wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back