1996 GSX Voltage Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grags

Hi All,

I am hoping some more knowledgeable people's brain than mine. My younger brother picked up a 96 GSX in non complete running condition that I have been working on getting running for him. When it landed in my garage the ski's main issue was that it would not run really at all. I rebuilt the carbs and fuel pump and that problem was solved. Aside from the carbs there were a few other items replaced and I took it out to water test it. Well the water test did not go great. The ski would not rev any higher than 3200 RPM's. I figured this to be either a bad voltage regulator or bad adjustment on the carbs. I threw in a new regulator, readjusted the carbs and all was well. Yesterday, I went to take it for another water test and the ski ran good for a brief time. As soon as it got into higher RPM's the engine would die, and the 12v low would pop up on the gauge. The ski would start back up after a minute but as soon as you would get higher intothe RPM range it would die again. Before tearing things down to replace the stator, is there anything else that I could/should be checking that would cause this issue?

Update. I cleaned up a bunch of the connections as a precaution and started the ski to check the voltage. It was reading 13.7 at around 3k rpms.

Just note on my 03 RFI unit the stator was loose with one bolt broken. I dont have a real solid history of the ski other than it looks like a maybe a SBT motor when bought. Needless to charging a performance issues.

You can test the stator on the trailer,,,don’t go needlessly trying new expensive parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back