1996 Challenger rave valves

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

dcourt

Hi, I bought a 1996 Seadoo Challenger jet boat last fall and it was started twice before winterizing for the year. It seemed to run fine for those two test starts in the driveway and now I have just removed the rave valves to clean and observed that pieces of the bottom of one of the arms have broken off. I'm going to replace the arm but I am concerned about the broken pieces and where they might have ended up. Could they get into the cylinders and cause major damage and should I disassemble the engine. Also I noticed the bow side valve has a spring under the cover and the rear side valve did not, is this right? Thanks to anyone who can help.

raves

Hello dcourt,
easy one first, all raves should have the spring under the cap. It keeps the correct amount of tension (ajusted by turning red cap in or out)on the valve so it dosen't open to early.
second, have a look at the photo's of my rave valve when it broke, sorry to say but you will need to pull the head off to check if there are pieces left in there. You might have been lucky and they might have gone straight through and into the exhaust. The valve itself dosen't do to much damage as it is alloy, softer than cylinder walls, but if it breaks one of the rings on your piston then they can do a lot of damage, hardened steel.
There is a good thread on this forum in regards to raves, have a read.

seadoo3 059.jpg

seadoo3 057.jpg

Raves

Thanks for the info I'm hoping the pieces did go into the exhaust as i said it appears to start and run fine but I will pull the head and inspect.

Rave Valves

Pulled the head off today and piston and rings looked great, no damage at all. I was very surprised since I lost at least a quarter of an inch off the rave valve. I still would like to know where the debris went to but I don't think I will search any further.

Being as it is the rave valve and is on the exhaust valve it most likely went out the exhaust pipe...The compression hopefully forced it out the exhaust. The big question...Why did it just break? Was it metal fatigue? I would do a compression check and see what you get if nothing else, for peace of mind..The compression should be ideally 150# psi per cylinder. Do you know how to a compression check? If not give us a shout and we will explain how to proceed.

Karl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back