1996 Bombardier Jet Boat MISERY!!! HELP

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

soggybows

I am a first time boat owner. I researched the 96' jet boat and thought this would be the ideal starter boat because it's so light weight (I am female, I have a little daughter and I am not tech savvy). I have had nothing but heartache so far. I understand there are learning curves, but this is getting ridiculous.

When I bought it it was contingent on me getting it checked over. The boat did well... 150PSi on the rotax, no leaks, water test was good... it got a thumbs up. For the life of me I have never been able to get this boat started on my own. The techs can get it started after some work with it, but it doesn't do me any good if I can't. I seem to be flooding the spark plugs and even hydro-locked it once with a tow. I can't keep putting in new plugs every time I want to use. The techs say there is nothing wrong with the boat and that it's an old boat, and can be difficult. I don't want to give it up... but... anyone have some words of wisdom? Should I just sell it and give up?

I'm sooooo frustrated.

Sorry for the misfortune. Has anyone rebuilt the carbs? What is your starting procedure. Like put the lanyard on, pull the choke, hit start etc.... Do you ever start it on land before you put it in the water?

The carb was one thing they were wondering about but didn't hear anything to make them think there was a problem. When it's cold I pull up on the choke and hold it there for a second, then start it. Sometimes go up and down with it. I don't do anything with the throttle yet because I don't want to flood it. But today I did get it going, on land (because I have put it in the water 5 times now and it wouldn't start) and without using the throttle it was revving up and down. There was also black/oily fuel mix blowing out the exhaust. Is that a carb thing?

Sounds like you have some fuel delivery issues. I'd say the fuel system (lines, fuel selectors, strainers and carb(s)) probably needs an overhaul. So, what model is the boat? They made the Sportster, Speedster, Explorer and the Challenger in 96.

It's the Challenger. The previous owner rebuilt the engine. He said to use clear fuel in it only, non ethanol, the grey fuel lines have been replaced. On this last start there was more smoke than normal and the revving of the engine without doing anything was new. I also don't think I ever noticed the black fuel mix coming out of the exhaust either. It sprayed pretty good on the driveway. I would have an issue with that if it was in the river.

The guys at the dealership spent a lot of time with me yesterday explaining how the engine works and starting it on land first before I put it in the water, but I have never got it to that point. I literally leave the place, after they have ran it in the water the day before with zero problems, and I can't start it. I'm so paranoid with this boat now. If it was something that could be fixed, hopefully under $1000, then great. But when everyone else can start it but me... then what do I do? Is this common?

Unthread the fuel cap but leave it on so rain water can't get in there, you could cover it with plastic so it can breathe but not let moisture in. Wait a day or so and try and start it. I wonder if the tank is building pressure and allowing the gas to push thru the carbs. Just a guess, but free to troubleshoot and low tech. Also, if/when you get it running, open the engine cover and see if there is smoke (exhaust smoke) in there.

It is supposed to idle at 3,000 RPM out of water, not sure how high your's was.

OK, I will definitely try that. Thanks for the help. I'm sure I will taking it back to the dealer again. I hate feeling like this boat is better off with someone else. :(

If you start on land and run for a few seconds then back it into water then start what happens? Does it start right back up? If you ride around the lake for a bit then shut down and try to restart after 20 mins or so does it just crank and the plugs are wet?

If you start on land and run for a few seconds then back it into water then start what happens? Does it start right back up? If you ride around the lake for a bit then shut down and try to restart after 20 mins or so does it just crank and the plugs are wet?

Well, that's the problem. I really haven't been able to start it on land but once. So every attempt I have made to get it into the water has failed so I can't answer that. The dealership techs are able to get it running. They spent 30 minutes in the water without any problems at all. When I got it checked out, they gave it a big thumbs up and I went straight to the ramp, put it in, and it tried to start but nothing. I took it back, they got it running, I tried again and nothing. The previous owner came to look at it, got it running on land. We took it in the water (rough start) ran it for 5 minutes. Stopped it and it wouldn't start up again. When I towed it it hydro-locked. Took it back to the dealer, they got it running. Next day tried to start it on land, nothing. Took it back, the dealer changed the plugs and got it running (they also spent time with me going over things. They said I wasn't doing anything wrong as far as my routine in starting it). I tried it on land the next day and it revved up and down without me using the throttle with black stuff coming out of the exhaust. I couldn't get it started again. Dealership says it's a good boat, but it should start for me if it was good. I don't know what to do.

Unthread the fuel cap but leave it on so rain water can't get in there, you could cover it with plastic so it can breathe but not let moisture in. Wait a day or so and try and start it. I wonder if the tank is building pressure and allowing the gas to push thru the carbs. Just a guess, but free to troubleshoot and low tech. Also, if/when you get it running, open the engine cover and see if there is smoke (exhaust smoke) in there.

It is supposed to idle at 3,000 RPM out of water, not sure how high your's was.

It looks like this might have helped. I found another mechanic and brought it to him. It started with just a few tries. I think it's just me not knowing how to start it... I hope. Seems like it should be easier??? Oh well.

SIDE NOTE: While chatting with this mechanic, he said that I could winterize the boat on my own. He said when you pull the boat out of the water on the trailer, keep it running til it's out of the water and then stop the engine with the choke and add fuel additive. Is it really that easy? The dealership wants to charge me $175!!

Steep learning curve, very steep learning curve. LOL

You should put fuel additive in the fuel now and always. Then the additive is in the carbs when you park it. If you get freezing temps there you will need to use antifreeze, you just can't put it away without doing that. But, it shouldn't take you long and no more than a 1/2 hour or so.

Pics of the engine bay would help greatly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back