1995 SPX engine mount repair

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Autostart

I have had this ski for a total of 3 weeks. I bought it from the original owner but has been shoved in the back of his garage since 2016. I spent a total of 20 minutes or however long it took me to take the airbox off and add fresh fuel. She ran so good I didn't care to check anything else. I did do a 5 minute watercooled test run at home before take her out on the water.

The engine runs great but I think there might be some cavitation. I don't want to jump right into replacing the wear ring until I fix the following....

After about 3 hours on the water with some breaks in between i noticed the ski was sitting low in the water so I checked the engine compartment and sure enough it was filled with water. With the engine off I would have never seen where it was coming from which I didn't realize at the time but once I got the ski home and ran freshwater through the system and drained and cleaned the inside of the ski i saw where the water was coming from. It appears that the bung thats welded on the exhaust has a pinhole and under pressure or whatever flow the system creates is pushing through the hole and into the engine compartment.

No problem... let me pull this part off to see what can be done if at all. If the corrosion did that from the inside out I wonder what the entire part looks like, right? OK, so I go to remove the exhaust and the had flashbacks of why I hate working on skis. Anyways, the head of the bolt literally melted in my hand that holds the exhaust in place on the side of the motor. Now the threaded part is still sticking out and there isn't enough wiggle run to remove it.

Worst part is.... at this point i was pulling and pushing around and noticed the entire front of the motor isn't even fastened to the ski. The sun was setting and my frustration level was to 11 plus my designated 30 minutes a day for this ski had just expired. Haha

Not knowing if it's Glassworks or just a replacement mount is crucial, i know but can someone with experience comment on what im looking at with a worse case/best case scenario?

Thanking you in advance
Eric

It’s just the motor mount. The rubber separates from the aluminum and is very common.
@racerxxx sells the aluminum discs to fix the pipe plugs and again is very common.

What is the purpose of the pipe plug from the factory anyways?

Are there any particular motor mounts i should be getting or are they all the same?

Thanks, let me pull the exhaust off and inspect it to see that its salvageable. I do plan on purchasing the discs and fixing it but.... with the side mounting bolt head broken off I cannot get it off and need to pull the motor. What is essential to pull off the motor in order for me to get the motor out of the hull? Airbox and carbs or should I remove the exhaust manifold?

You might not be able the get the engine out with the pipe still on. Yes remove carbs for more room.

I made this and under an hour had that bolt cut. The exhaust is out! I still have the drives haft connected but i guess ill figure that out. Thanks guys!!!!

20200507_102731.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back