1995 Seadoo spi turns over but won’t fire up

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leecamo_5

Hello, I am new to the sea doo family and have recently purchased a 1996 seadoo xp (which runs great) and I purchased a 1995 seadoo spi (which was running great.) I took them out this evening and go on the 1995 seadoo xp and rode around for a few minutes and it ran great. Well I took it back to the boat dock and had to run up and get something and when I came back to try and start it back up all it would do is turn over for a little bit but not start up. I tried multiple times to get it to start up but I made no effort too. After getting home I changed the spark plugs out with new ones thinking that could be the problem but still won’t fire up. Is there anything I should check on it or look for to figure out what going on? The guy I got it from had someone clean the gas tank out for him so I wouldn’t think it could be trash in my gas tank. He also had the carbs rebuilt on it but said they might not be adjusted 100% correct but I would t think that would cause it not to want to start up. If anyone knows what might be wrong please let me know! Thanks!

Will it not start at all now? Or is the problem only when hot?
I would start with a compression check to see what state the motor is in.
Then start eliminating other things. Does it have spark? If it does, try pouring a very small amount of premixed fuel down the carbs and see if it fires. If it does, you know youve got a fuel issue.
Does the ski have grey fuel lines? If so theyll need to be replaced and the entire fuel system will need to be gone thru again, including a carb rebuild, fuel filter changes, fuel selector replacement, and fuel line replacement.

The tank was cleaned out by the guy I got it from but the grey fuel lines were left in there and not changed. I am planning on changing them since I have heard the are not good at all. I have 145 compression in both cylinders and it won’t start at all rather it is hot or not it’s just turns over but won’t fire up. I changed the spark plugs in it and still won’t fire up. Could it be the battery is weak and needs to be recharged??? I will pre mix some fuel and pour it down my carbs and see if I get some life in her today!

The tank was cleaned out by the guy I got it from but the grey fuel lines were left in there and not changed. I am planning on changing them since I have heard the are not good at all. I have 145 compression in both cylinders and it won’t start at all rather it is hot or not it’s just turns over but won’t fire up. I changed the spark plugs in it and still won’t fire up. Could it be the battery is weak and needs to be recharged??? I will pre mix some fuel and pour it down my carbs and see if I get some life in her today!
No if the battery is strong enough to spin the motor it's fine to start the ski. The problem is your grey fuel lines are gunked up not allowing fuel to deliver to the engine. You need to replace the fuel lines, the fuel filter, fuel selector, and rebuild the carbs with only genuine mikuni kits.

The fuel selector has been bypassed and the fuel filter has been replaced when the tank was cleaned out. I checked it and there was very little debris in it. I have some fuel lines on the way that I am gonna put on it. I bought 20 ft. Do you think this will be enough to change out all the grey lines?

Which fuel filter are you referring to? The filter separator? Thats not the filter thats gonna cause you the problems. Its the little filter inside the carb. The grey fuel lines breakdown and clog up the carb filter. Try some premix as you said and see if you can at least get it to fire. If it does, youll need to go thru the fuel system, and dont ride it till youve done it otherwise youll kill that motor quick.

Alright I will get on all this when my fuel lines are here and I will give you some updates on how it is going! Thank you very much!

A lot of people say to get 25 but I had 20 and it was plenty for my 95 sp. you will be fine, just make sure you replace all of them

Well since you were just riding it with no issues I would check that your getting a spark and your kill switch isn’t shorting out

I replaced the spark plugs and checked for spark and they were both good. Kill switch seems to be working fine as well.

Alright so I took some pre mix and poured it into the carb and tried to start it but it wouldn’t fire up. What should I look at next?

If you have spark and your compression is 145, and it still doesnt start with fuel down the carb, I would probably start looking at the rotary valve.

When I turn it over with the plugs out the gas shoots out the the cylinders way up. Could this be a sign of hydrolock?

With hydrolock, the motor wouldnt turn over at all. But, how much fuel did you pour down the carb? You really only need like a bottle cap full down the carb. I would try cleaning up your plugs and try starting it again.

I didn’t put much in them this evening and it still did not fire up. Now that it is dark outside I am gonna check my spark plugs again and see if I am getting spark. When I check them earlier it was bright outside and I couldn’t completely tell so I’m going to check that again.

Okay I check the plugs and don’t have spark so that’s the problem so what do I need to do to trouble shoot it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back