1995 GTX ROLLS OVER TO SLOW

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

LobstermanNice

Hi, been away from the sea doo world for a while now but just bought an older 1995 gtx , very minimal used,but it won't start , put a brand new battery in it and it barely rolls over (very slow roll), if I take the spark plugs out it will roll over faster but will stop after about 10 seconds , looking for advice as what might be the problem , thanks in advance, Jason

Hi, been away from the sea doo world for a while now but just bought an older 1995 gtx , very minimal used,but it won't start , put a brand new battery in it and it barely rolls over (very slow roll), if I take the spark plugs out it will roll over faster but will stop after about 10 seconds , looking for advice as what might be the problem , thanks in advance, Jason
I had a similar issue and when I replaced the starter it was fixed. Make sure you test your ground wire going to the starter first as these are prone to fail but much easier than replacing a whole starter. I would also check your electrical connections from the battery to the starter.

I would first try to bridge the solenoid. If no change, suspect weak starter. If smooth cranking, suspect solenoid or on/off switch assembly. I had a similar problem. Mine turned out to be deterioration of the red plastic diaphragm that covers the push-to-start switch. I found it after disassembling the handlebar, removing the switch and pressing it. I thought my switch was bad, but the plastic piece wasn't keeping the switch closed.

Turn it over by hand with the plugs out. Turn the pto counterclockwise. If it turns smoothly then jump solenoid with a screw driver. Probably a weak starter.

Did some testing today ,cleaned all connections and then tested volts , have 12 volts thru solenoid right down to the starter , so just ordered a starter ,thanks for the help!!

Where did you get the starter? All of the aftermarket ones are junk, period. If you have an OEM starter it’s almost always the brushes and they can be replaced for about $30.

Also cheap batteries can be bad out of the box like the wAlmart never-starts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back