1994 Speedster planing problem

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

grizzlygear

Twin 85 hp, boat doesn't plane quickly, even with person in bow seat. Especially a problem when pulling a skier/wakeboarder...takes 20 seconds to get to plane even with spotter in bow.
Also, once it gets on plane, it wants to accelerate quickly, and it is hard to control the speed for the skier.
Got any suggestions? Would the Twin 110hp be any better? Add balast to the bow?

im no expert but i just went thru the same thing with my 96 speedster....try checking the condition of your wear ring and the distance between it and the impeller fins, should be i think .040" or about the thickness of a few pieces of paper. also check the condition of the impeller if its chipped gnarled or bent in anyway, you might wanna look into getting a refurbed one...wear rings would run ya about 35$ each...can get refurb impellers for 25 each plus trade in of your old ones and new neoprene seals are 6$ each....take ya about 2 hrs to take it all apart and put it back together...that'll help your planing problem..as far as the throttle controls...theres two screws on either side of the assembly that control the stiffness of the throttle levers...try tightening them, that may help a little....i did all this and the boat shoots out of the whole and accelerates like a bat out of hell...no problem pulling 300+lbs skier either...hope this helps

Throttle Friction

The throttle friction is a little tricky.

The right side throttle friction is set by a set screw next to the lever, however the LEFT throttle friction is set by the center shaft screw and you should loc-tite it after adjustment because it works loose. Dont over-tighten them.
Be careful of the aluminum retaining strips under the hull when you remove the throttle unit - see my post from a few days ago.

As far as your getting on plane problem, if you are heavily loaded and going from a dead stop, Speedsters are not terribly fast to plane. If the engines sound deeps and strong with no wa-wa, excessive RPM, you may be OK in the impeller department. In other words the sound should be the same accelerating from low speed as from high. if not, you probably have cavitation and the imlepper problem.

BTW you have 80 hp engines not 85.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back