1994 Sea Doo SP 587 Engine Removal

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

realrippnn

Good evening everyone !

I’m currently in the middle of removing the 587 engine out of my Bombardier SP. I have everything removed besides the 4-wire cable that goes to the starter box along with the driveshaft. I’m going to be reusing the cable so I don’t want to just cut it, therefore I’m searching for the best way to release the 4 wires from the starter box in order to remove the engine. Anything helps, thank you!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    311.1 KB · Views: 14
I've never pulled one but can you disconnect the wires inside the gray box, loosen the fitting and pull the black wire out of the gray box? I've seen the wires with connectors on them so I guess some people cut them.

There’s some sort of gelatin that hold the end of the 4 wires in place, so you can’t really just pull them off. So far it looks like my only option is to cut those connectors but I have no clue

There are plugs in the box that you can unplug.

You can also pull the box with the engine if you disconnect the other connections.

From the picture, it looks like 2 are the wires for the spark plugs, those come off easily. One is the power cable to the starter, that one unbolts from the top side of the starter (usually have to separate the starter from the engine, but you need to do that anyway.) The other if you follow it should go to one or more connector plugs that you can separate without cutting anything. Just a tip for the starter bolts, I take 2 sided tape (I use 3M extreme available at Lowe’s) and roll up a piece and put it inside the 13mm socket and it holds on the bolt head so they don’t fall out when removing and installing. I like fishing, but not for bolts, and since they are stainless, magnets don’t work.

You can also remove the flywheel cover and disconnect the 4 wires there as well. Easier, in my opinion, then getting into the electrical box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back