1994 sea doo dies, starts right back up instantly.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

94seadooGTX

Alright everybody, I have a 1994 Sea-Doo GTX. I am having an issue where the machine suddenly dies (almost like I was hitting the kill switch) it dosnt bog or somewhat stutter and stay alive like a fuel issue would typically indicate, it just dies. I would be screaming across the water at WOT and it would shut off, I would quickly hit the start button before the machine even gets off of plane and it would fire right up and keep going like a rocket. It would keep doing this. Now it seems as if the time interval from when I start it and it kills seems to be getting shorter and shorter. Carbs are clean and diaphragms are in excellent shape, all fuel lines have been replaced, rectifier is new, and engine has good compression (if my memory serves me right both cylinders were between 140 and 145 p.s.i.), I tested the mlps according to the shop manual and this is what I found. Each test gives an acceptable resistance value range. There were 3 of the 7 readings I took that were out of spec, they are listed below. By the way I made sure to complete disconnect all of the leads going in and out of the mlps prior to testing.

The first wire color listed is the one I hooked my - lead on my multimeter to and the 2nd wire color listed is the one I hooked to my + lead.

Yellow/Red Red ring terminal. Minimum: 150K ohms Maximum: 1M ohms My result: 1.508M ohms

Black ring terminal Purple female connector Minimum: 100 ohms Maximum: 1.2M ohms My result: 1.67M ohms

Black Black/red male connector. Minimum: 200K ohms Maximum: 1M ohms My result: 1.29M ohms

Any guidence towards a solution would be greatly appreciated thank you!!!

Also, it seems like it dies more frequently the higher the RPM, if I run it at let’s say 1/8 throttle it will run much longer than at 1/2 or full throttle before dying.

sounds fuel related to me. my guess is fuel selector switch. there is enough fuel in the line up to the fuel selector switch to keep you going for a certain amount of time and less if you go faster.

Alright everybody, I have a 1994 Sea-Doo GTX. I am having an issue where the machine suddenly dies (almost like I was hitting the kill switch) it dosnt bog or somewhat stutter and stay alive like a fuel issue would typically indicate, it just dies. I would be screaming across the water at WOT and it would shut off, I would quickly hit the start button before the machine even gets off of plane and it would fire right up and keep going like a rocket. It would keep doing this. Now it seems as if the time interval from when I start it and it kills seems to be getting shorter and shorter. Carbs are clean and diaphragms are in excellent shape, all fuel lines have been replaced, rectifier is new, and engine has good compression (if my memory serves me right both cylinders were between 140 and 145), I tested the mlps according to the shop manual and this is what I found. Each test gives an acceptable resistance value range. There were 3 of the 7 readings I took that were out of spec, they are listed below. By the way I made sure to complete disconnect all of the leads going in and out of the mlps prior to testing.

The first wire color listed is the one I hooked my - lead on my multimeter to and the 2nd wire color listed is the one I hooked to my + lead.

Yellow/Red Red ring terminal. Minimum: 150K ohms Maximum: 1M ohms My result: 1.508 ohms

Black ring terminal Purple female connector Minimum: 100 ohms Maximum: 1.2M ohms My result: 1.67M ohms

Black Black/red male connector. Minimum: 200K ohms Maximum: 1M ohms My result: 1.29M ohms

Any guidence towards a solution would be greatly appreciated thank you!!!
sounds fuel related to me. my guess is fuel selector switch. there is enough fuel in the line up to the fuel selector switch to keep you going for a certain amount of time and less if you go faster.
What I don’t understand though is that it will start instantly (even if I keep holding the throttle wide open) in less than a second after it dies and have excellent power

it is pretty easy to bypass the fuel selector so you can cross that off your list. also, you could look at the fuel filter. at WOT you could starve the engine of fuel to kill it and the fuel filter could let enough fuel out fast enough to get it going right away.

your comments on "intervals" directs me towards fuel issues rather than a comment of "random" which would direct me more towards an electrical issue.

Would be interesting to connect an inline spark tester and see if it acts up when connected. That would definitely help narrow down an electrical or fuel issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back