1994 GTX 657: Solenoid issue??? and stator cover plate question

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

ezgoin92

Hello smart folks, here is today's challenge... 1994 SeaDoo GTX with 657. It has been running and starting fine lately. Had the ski out two weeks ago and didn't have a problem. The only issue I have had is the red kill button on left handle sometimes slides a touch and gets stuck under the plastic handle which holds the kill button down. This weekend went to give the ski a test fire before going to the ramp and heard the click/thunk (solenoid sound) but starter would not spin. Battery is a 1 year old AGM showing 12.4v and stays at 12.3v when trying to start. I did get the starter to engage and spin the engine over two random times over the past 24 hours but not consistent... not sure what the fluke was which made it try twice. I pulled the electronics box out this evening and if you jump between the top two terminal posts it cranks over repeatedly with no issue. The starters connections are all solid (to include the negative) and no rust/corrosion on the positive wire attached to the back side of the starter. Presuming a defective solenoid I pulled it out (all wires connected to it were secured well) and I was planning to order one in. I did test the solenoid by applying 12v to the bottom two posts and every time it engages and clicks. I ohm tested the top two lugs during one of the 12v applications and you could see it was making contact. The question is if the solenoid bench tests okay what else could it be? The solenoid in my ski is a Clum mfg. 94265-4 12v/50% also shows 9325OPS2 and a date from 9/93. Guessing the age of it is also why I am initially having a hard time finding the replacement. Any local auto parts store version I can use so I can test the "repair" as soon as possible?

Second question, when trying to work on pulling the electronics box out I loosened the plastic cap on the wire going into the stator cover (stupid idea wanted to try and see how the wire was attached) but in wiggling the box out it pulled the wire going into the stator up about 1/4". It still felt secure but it was one of those ahh crap jack ass moments. I presume the wire would not have come loose from its mount in the stator but not sure if this now means I should be pulling off the stator cover to make sure the connection didn't get fudged up. I haven't had the stator cover off before and don't want to hose anything up.

As always thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back