1993 587 dual carb strange ignition issue. Kill switch/ post?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Geoff240ti

I've got a 1993 Seadoo.. unknown model. It has a 587 dual carb.

When I go to start it, it cranks with no spark. If I take the tether cap off when I crank it sputters right when pull the tether cap off.

I figured it's just a bad switch, but I ohm out/tested the switch and it is perfect (this goes for the handlebar switch as well)

Now if I want it to run I need to use my finger on the post and work the switch a couple of times when it's cranking. After a couple kill switch cycles I can put the tether back on and it'll run.

Is this something with the stator? Is the MPEM failing and not exciting properly but it does when the ground loop is interrupted? I have yet to take the machine out until I get this figured. I'm not sure if something will fail and strand me on the water.

I have searched and found one previous thread with this exact same scenario but not answer on fix. The fuel system is all gone through and I'm ready to roll once this is solved. If anyone can shed some light it's greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
I'm having the same issue. All switches test fine. Mine is intermittent. When it was cranking without spark a tap on the kill switch would also allow it to start, in addition to the tethering and retethering you described. Mpem or stator? Please let me know if you make any progress and I'll do the same.

It ran minutes before I tested the MPEM but still had open circuits on the reverse rev limiter and reverse CDI test. Buzzer test failed also. Passed the other MPEM tests. Got an el cheapo MPEM off Amazon coming.....will see what it does after the new MPEM goes in.

It ran minutes before I tested the MPEM but still had open circuits on the reverse rev limiter and reverse CDI test. Buzzer test failed also. Passed the other MPEM tests. Got an el cheapo MPEM off Amazon coming.....will see what it does after the new MPEM goes in.
Please keep me posted! I ended up taking the ski out and after a couple kill switch cycles it ran a full tank with stop and starts. Was able to leave the tether on and it would start as normal too.

Back in the shop today, tried to fire it up and same deal. It'll have no spark tether on, take it off and work it with my finger and it'll come back.

Also seems like I'm losing prime on the fuel system now, trouble getting fuel up. Guess the carbs need to come off again!

Keep me posted

I already tried swapping my old battery for a brand new fully charged AGM battery.....no change.
I also tried a different tether switch....no change. Also have a brand new tether so the cap is super secure.

In an unfortunate turn of events, after testing the MPEM my son accidently set the electronics box on the positive terminal of the battery, contacting the ground stud on the electronics box. The stator ground wire took all of the current and burnt like a fuse in a cloud of smoke. So now I'm replacing the stator, wiring harness, and MPEM. An hopefully not anything else. Ha - burning money.

Fixed now. I replaced the MPEM with a cheapo from Amazon and a stator from OSD parts. Also a new stator wiring harness. No issues now. Important to note I did not replace the kill switch or tether switch which were working correctly despite the symptoms.

Fixed now. I replaced the MPEM with a cheapo from Amazon and a stator from OSD parts. Also a new stator wiring harness. No issues now. Important to note I did not replace the kill switch or tether switch which were working correctly despite the symptoms.
Thank you for the follow up!! I'm really curious if the Stator might have been the original problem, and is possibly mine. At least with replacing all those items you have a completely refreshed ignition system and that reliability is worth something! Every time I go to run mine.. I have to work that tether post and then it's fine. Still makes me feel real uneasy... perhaps this winter I'll dig in deeper like you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back