1991 sp Stoped going fast with two people

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Judging by the color of the fluid, you should replace seal like mikidy said. Used fluid gets darker unless a foreign substance is added. Such as water.

This pump is old enough to buy beer. That rubber seal no doubt is leaking in the pump. It's kind of a pain to rebuild, and will probably last you a while longer, but water in the pump will reduce the lubricity of the oil and promote further degradation of the internals. I'd rebuild the pump, but if it's just a pond ski, and you're tight on cash, I guess you can see how long it will last. It might go forever, or at least till you are ready to learn how to press bearings.

This pump is old enough to buy beer. That rubber seal no doubt is leaking in the pump. It's kind of a pain to rebuild, and will probably last you a while longer, but water in the pump will reduce the lubricity of the oil and promote further degradation of the internals. I'd rebuild the pump, but if it's just a pond ski, and you're tight on cash, I guess you can see how long it will last. It might go forever, or at least till you are ready to learn how to press bearings.
Haha, ever replaced wheel bearings on a 98 Yamaha big bear ? It was hell.

No, but I have done a 91 eclipse wheel bearing WITHOUT a press. That was no cakewalk either ;) I've definitely done some big jobs with primitive tools and a shoe-string budget, then I discovered Harbor Freight :)

If you don’t do the seals at least buy some Klotz Jet Pump Oil from Amazon. It will still lubricate with some water unlike automotive gear oil with your leaking seals.

If you don’t do the seals at least buy some Klotz Jet Pump Oil from Amazon. It will still lubricate with some water unlike automotive gear oil with your leaking seals.
Ok, should I use some gasket sealer too? Also I’m kind of worried about the chip in those fins...... what will it effect on the performance? It’s only on one fin but it’s a decent size. If it’s not a major performance issue I’m going to ride it, save money, and get a new housing.

Gasket sealer on what part exactly? The jet pump housing as it connects to the hull? Some will say yes, some will say no. It's my preference that if it fits snugly, not to..because it makes it more difficult to separate later when you have to do it again. Post a picture of the chip.

Gasket sealer on what part exactly? The jet pump housing as it connects to the hull? Some will say yes, some will say no. It's my preference that if it fits snugly, not to..because it makes it more difficult to separate later when you have to do it again. Post a picture of the chip.
721EB203-70E6-4876-8EA1-FE58D418295B.jpeg

Looks like another small chunk is ready to break off. I'd go ahead and snap it off now so it doesn't break off later and cause problems. As for replace/repair/ignore, those are your 3 options I suppose. To do it right, replace it. You may be able to epoxy the pieces back together, but I'd worry they may break apart and ruin another impeller and wear ring. Or just put it back together (with removing that piece that looks loose) and run it. In your situation, I would take the 3rd option. You were riding around on a worn out wear ring and damaged impeller and having a good time. I'd think the little loss of performance won't adversely affect your experience too badly. And if it does, you already know how to take it apart...

Speaking of taking it apart...is that how you damaged it? I'm thinking you put something through it to wedge the impeller and wrenched it..or something like that. This is why you need the tool. You put one end in a vice (or have a strong friend hold it with a wrench) and then use the tool with a ratchet or wrench. I hope you are looking up the videos so you understand the procedure...the proper procedure that is lol
The good news is everything can be fixed...just takes time and money. Mostly the money part..

WOW, how did you do that. I assume you were trying to hold the light bulb and turn the house?

Don't bother with a "temporary" fix or you will be back into the same problem again. That is too much damage to repair.

Contact Nick at West Side Powersports @Minnetonka4me . I am sure he will be willing to help out a teen on
a budget.

Looks like another small chunk is ready to break off. I'd go ahead and snap it off now so it doesn't break off later and cause problems. As for replace/repair/ignore, those are your 3 options I suppose. To do it right, replace it. You may be able to epoxy the pieces back together, but I'd worry they may break apart and ruin another impeller and wear ring. Or just put it back together (with removing that piece that looks loose) and run it. In your situation, I would take the 3rd option. You were riding around on a worn out wear ring and damaged impeller and having a good time. I'd think the little loss of performance won't adversely affect your experience too badly. And if it does, you already know how to take it apart...

Speaking of taking it apart...is that how you damaged it? I'm thinking you put something through it to wedge the impeller and wrenched it..or something like that. This is why you need the tool. You put one end in a vice (or have a strong friend hold it with a wrench) and then use the tool with a ratchet or wrench. I hope you are looking up the videos so you understand the procedure...the proper procedure that is lol
The good news is everything can be fixed...just takes time and money. Mostly the money part..
Ok the one piece was broken off...... I super glued it back on but I think I’ll break it off. And yes I was wedging crap in there.

If you want to try I would use some form of epoxy like J.B. Weld. The worst thing that can happen is it will blow the pieces out the back of the pump, it won't damage your impeller.

If you want to try I would use some form of epoxy like J.B. Weld. The worst thing that can happen is it will blow the pieces out the back of the pump, it won't damage your impeller.
Ok, I have some jb weld, I’ll try it, also I thought about taking extremely thin aluminum and jb welding it over the broken piece

Right, it is on the back side.
+1 on the JB Weld. I've done some things with the JB Weld that you wouldn't believe worked.

Ok, I have some jb weld, I’ll try it, also I thought about taking extremely thin aluminum and jb welding it over the broken piece
Once it cures, you may be able to file it...if you care enough to go that far with it. Keep us posted and good luck.

So
Right, it is on the back side.
+1 on the JB Weld. I've done some things with the JB Weld that you wouldn't believe worked.

Once it cures, you may be able to file it...if you care enough to go that far with it. Keep us posted and good luck.
rry phone screen got replaced..... I’ll post pics, but I think I’m going to take sheet metal and jb weld it over that chip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back