1991 sp Stoped going fast with two people

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think basic referb is around $70 to get it back to true. But I wouldn't bother with an aluminum prop. You can get stainless ones on eBay for probably less than rebuilding yours at Impros. I threw away a bunch of impellers recently when I moved, as I had no use for them, and no time to sell. 580 parts are the cheapest online.

I think basic referb is around $70 to get it back to true. But I wouldn't bother with an aluminum prop. You can get stainless ones on eBay for probably less than rebuilding yours at Impros. I threw away a bunch of impellers recently when I moved, as I had no use for them, and no time to sell. 580 parts are the cheapest online.
Dang it lol you shoulda gave em to me o_Olol I could use a couple . But I think I got a good deal

Also a stainless steel one is 170$!!!!!!!!!!!!! I’m 14 and I can’t afford that lol

Also a stainless steel one is 170$!!!!!!!!!!!!! I’m 14 and I can’t afford that lol
Well, technically, you only need one impeller. If you ding it up, just send it off to get fixed. I think it takes about 1.5-2 weeks to get it back from the day you ship out. Knowing how this pump system works should teach you to stay out of the shallow areas. I see so many people carelessly ride in half a foot of water, or run new skis up on the beach. I just shake my head.

That's really cool that you're learning all this at such a young age. I too was 14 when I started wrenching on SeaDoos, and also had a 91 SP. We had a 92 GTS too, which was basically the same ski but a 3-seater. I had that thing up until just 2 years ago. That thing has been everywhere, from the lakes of North Texas to Key Largo. They're great skis to learn on, very forgiving, and by far the most fuel efficient in the seadoo 2-stroke lineup. I think you have the perfect ski for this period in your life.

Well, technically, you only need one impeller. If you ding it up, just send it off to get fixed. I think it takes about 1.5-2 weeks to get it back from the day you ship out. Knowing how this pump system works should teach you to stay out of the shallow areas. I see so many people carelessly ride in half a foot of water, or run new skis up on the beach. I just shake my head.

That's really cool that you're learning all this at such a young age. I too was 14 when I started wrenching on SeaDoos, and also had a 91 SP. We had a 92 GTS too, which was basically the same ski but a 3-seater. I had that thing up until just 2 years ago. That thing has been everywhere, from the lakes of North Texas to Key Largo. They're great skis to learn on, very forgiving, and by far the most fuel efficient in the seadoo 2-stroke lineup. I think you have the perfect ski for this period in your life.
Thanks, I appreciate the advice! I’ve had many different vehicles in the past but the jet ski idea is still pretty new to me so the advice is very helpful!

. Is this just a super crappy wear ring? It’s plastic.......
image.jpg

Nope, it is a stock wear ring that has lost the rubber. Pretty common on old pumps. And don't bother with that impeller, it isn't worth the money to fix.

Nope, it is a stock wear ring that has lost the rubber. Pretty common on old pumps. And don't bother with that impeller, it isn't worth the money to fix.
Ok, how do I remove the impeller!?????????? I’ve been reaching on that hunk of junk all day, no luck even bent a bolt as big around as 1/4 inch

You will need to get an impeller tool that fits the splines where the driveshaft goes into the impeller. THen you pull the pump cone on the back and you will see 2 flats on the shaft you can put in a vise to hold it.

You will need to get an impeller tool that fits the splines where the driveshaft goes into the impeller. THen you pull the pump cone on the back and you will see 2 flats on the shaft you can put in a vise to hold it.
I tried that with a bolt that has held but it bent it...... don’t really want to spend $10 more bucks for probably a one time thing

What "Bolt" did you use? You have to use a spline tool to unscrew the impeller. You are also going to need the tool to install the new impeller.

So basically you have to pull the rear cone off the pump(three8mm bolts), a bunch of stinky oil will come out so be prepared. Then you put the flats of the pump shaft in a vise.
e3e98387a018a3b353beda45069adfc5.jpg

Then you use the impeller tool to engage the internal splines of the impeller so you can use a socket and breaker bar to unscrew it.
02937fbd5d5988d6fc125e9671434dd8.jpg

It unscrews with standard threads, counterclockwise.

So basically you have to pull the rear cone off the pump(three8mm bolts), a bunch of stinky oil will come out so be prepared. Then you put the flats of the pump shaft in a vise.
e3e98387a018a3b353beda45069adfc5.jpg

Then you use the impeller tool to engage the internal splines of the impeller so you can use a socket and breaker bar to unscrew it.
02937fbd5d5988d6fc125e9671434dd8.jpg

It unscrews with standard threads, counterclockwise.
Ok I got all that done however I chipped one of those fins in the housing. Will this effect performance?

Do you have a pic that shows the chip?
And yes, you will need the tool. It's only $10. Hit up grandpa. Maybe he sees what you're doing and will let you take it out on his lake eventually ;)
There's good videos on YouTube that'll walk you through it. Did you get a new wear ring?

Also, you'll be changing that oil in there. I used 75w-90 synthetic. If you've got some car or boat guys in your family or friends, they may have some. It doesn't hurt to ask..you don't need much.

Also, you'll be changing that oil in there. I used 75w-90 synthetic. If you've got some car or boat guys in your family or friends, they may have some. It doesn't hurt to ask..you don't need much.
Ok, he lets me drive it on the pond now, it doesn’t oil up the water and he has some oil. And yeah I got a wear ring hopefully will last. It’s not an expensive one.

You need probably need to replace the shaft seal as your oil has water in it.
How dd you chip the stator vane?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back