180SE Challenger Hole Shot

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good question. I too am having that hesitation out of the hole when punching from a stand still. YOUNG AGAIN, do you think you could post up a pic of what/where to look?

also, did warranty end up covering it? I've got an '08 c180 purchased in July.... i think my warranty is up... :banghead:

anybody think this can be done themselves (mechanically inclined) or definitely a dealer fix?

Glad to hear that you got it sorted!! Any chance you or someone could post a picture of what to look for?? I get some cavitation out of the hole with my speedster 200 and I just had both wear rings replaced and the impellers re-pitched and edges cleaned up. What is the typical repair..?? Is it just a matter of sealing everything off with some good 3M caulking??

I will take a shot next time I'm up at the boat - warranty did cover mine - and with the number of them that have this issue - you would think BRP would step up (sorry I started daydreaming....)
http://www.spicerspartsworld.com/pa...,_1_x_255_HO,_2009/05-_Propulsion/57223/57230

Have a look at this in the meantime - it took some pretty talented techs to diagnose the problem on mine - although the fact that its a common problem - helped. They did in fact break the ride plate on mine trying to get it off - keep in mind - it is siliconed on pretty hard - the issue with mine was that there were voids which were causing the cavitation.

Same problem here on my 08 180. Bought used earlier this year.

Where was the leakage mentioned above in the soap bubble test? May be my problem too.

Hole Shot

Not sure exactly where it was on the ride shoe, but apparently there were several voids in the sealant from the factory.

Same problem with my 2009 180SE. Did BRP ever come through paying for the fix under warranty? I will take mine back to the dealer if I can get the fix under warranty. If not I expect I will live with it until it needs other work like waer ring or whatever. It goes great once it is over the initial cavitation. It accelerates strongly and tops out at 8000 plus RPM, 90-95kph on speedo (80-85 per GPS).

Same problem with my 2009 180SE. Did BRP ever come through paying for the fix under warranty? I will take mine back to the dealer if I can get the fix under warranty. If not I expect I will live with it until it needs other work like waer ring or whatever. It goes great once it is over the initial cavitation. It accelerates strongly and tops out at 8000 plus RPM, 90-95kph on speedo (80-85 per GPS).

They did, however I do believe that I have the dealer to thank for this, they had already done a wear ring, listened to my concerns, had a few similar boats with the same issue and they accurately documented their testing and submission - I never heard another thing from them on the issue after I picked up the boat.

Dealers have two types of repairs, those that are in the FSM and have a standard diagnostic/repair time, and the odd repairs that have no reference at all. When something comes along that is obviously a factory fault, but has no precedence in the book, the dealer has to call a factory tech rep. After talking to the rep, they can be approved or denied more time for the repair. The rep is also a go to guy as well. If you are lost, he's an engineer with a road map to your problem. (most of the time) Once the problem is found and documented properly, a request for actual repair time can be submitted. If Bombardier is like any other company out there, they will allow for the technicians time on the job, but probably none for him straying to far down the wrong path. A good dealership will eat the difference if it is not to large, or split the difference of what the factory would not pay with you.

Don't be afraid to use your warranty, you paid for it. The key is to be clear with the dealer when you bring the vehicle in. The statement "please call me before we get into anything not covered under warranty" usually sets the tone, and ensures they know you don't want a bill. If you are intimidated, call the service manager first. They are usually well educated guys that were technicians at one point in their careers. I would not ask a service writer (the guy behind the desk that takes your information and keys) those guys are salesmen at best, and normally have zero hands on experience.

:cheers:
Ernest

Thanks a lot to you and Gamerse for the info. I will take it up with my dealer when I bring the boat home in the fall. My boat is at the Shuswap lake for the summer, 500 KM from home and the dealer. There is dealer at the lake but apparently he hates customers that bought at other dealers, so I am not going there.

I have been experiencing the same problem so took it back to the dealer for the cavitation problem, oil change & winterization. They charged plenty for the maintenance and they said they can not find anything that would cause the cavitation, Wear ring is good etc. I told the mechanic that I understand it is a chronic problem with these and it is poor sealing of the ride plate. He said that has nothing to do with it and that cannot be the cause of the cavitation.
So I contacted BRP and got a file number. They won't let me talk to a technical person, that has to be done by dealer. I gave the number to the dealer mechanic and he said he would contact BRP and let me know. I am waiting to hear the results.

I don't know why it would cause wear ring groves (mine hasn't and I have 50 hours on it now). Also why would the work equate to $1400? This seems like a lot to remove ride plate reseal & re-install it. In any case I am waiting to see what BRP comes up with.

I had the same problem. Took it to the dealer. They checked it out and said they couldn't find a problem- even said the wear ring looked good. Told them it was improper sealing of the ride plate - mechanic said that is impossible. So entered a trouble file with BRP (as you mentioned BRP would not allow me to talk to a technician - dealer has to do it. Dealer called BRP and BRP acknowledged it was a chronic problem , but my warranty had expired and the fix will cost me 8 hours at $110 = $880. I told BRP & Dealer I have the 5 year BEST warranty and even if not, it is a factory defect that BRP should be liable for. Both finally agreed it is covered by the BEST warranty. Had it in and they fixed it this past weekend - said the wear ring had a groove and requires replacement - different story than before but I agreed it is best to start with a new wear ring. Cost me $90 for the wear ring. I suppose I could have argued the wear ring was caused by the cavitation and should also be warranteed, however I was so happy to have the rest under warranty, I didn't argue.

Can't wait for spring!

Thanks for bringing this chronic problem to my attention. This is my first boat and without the forum I would have lived with the problem not knowing any better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back