18 Year Old Needs Advice

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kylan33

My uncle gave me his 1996 Seadoo XP a couple weeks ago. It’s been running, but every time I start out it hits top speed and then bogs down and goes maybe 1/4 of top speed with the throttle fully in-gauged. After that I will get it to maintain top speed but will randomly shut down and have to start back up. There’s been times I’ve been in the middle of the lake and it shuts down. Never fails to crank back up again, but sometimes takes it a few times to reach top speed again. Could this be a bad carburetor? The bogging down makes me think so. Any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Before he gave it to you, where was it, being used or sitting? If so, how long? Any maintenance history?

Before he gave it to you, where was it, being used or sitting? If so, how long? Any maintenance history?
It was used over the summer when I was at his house but sat the rest of the year in his garage. Ran great last summer. He had a mechanic look at it right before he gave it to me and the mechanic said everything checked out. So I’m not sure what’s up.

Post some pictures of the ski and engine compartment and we will help you get it dialed in.

It was used over the summer when I was at his house but sat the rest of the year in his garage. Ran great last summer. He had a mechanic look at it right before he gave it to me and the mechanic said everything checked out. So I’m not sure what’s up.
You can't just "look" at a ski and tell if it's ok...good to go. Being a 1997, most likely it'll need a carb service/rebuild to get her back into shape.....a 23 year old ski needs some attention to stay in top form. If the ski is "stock"....then new fuel lines, selector switch, etc.....too!

You can't just "look" at a ski and tell if it's ok...good to go. Being a 1997, most likely it'll need a carb service/rebuild to get her back into shape.....a 23 year old ski needs some attention to stay in top form. If the ski is "stock"....then new fuel lines, selector switch, etc.....too!
Got to love these "mechanics" that say skis are good to go, LOL.

Start investing early, and don’t be fool, wrap your tool. Oh, you meant advice on the ski... In that case it sounds like you’re having fuel delivery problems. Post some pictures of inside the hull and we can point you in the right direction. You’re probably going to need to replace fuel lines and the selector switch, and rebuild the carbs. It’s nothing too terribly expensive or hard to do...

Start investing early, and don’t be fool, wrap your tool. Oh, you meant advice on the ski... In that case it sounds like you’re having fuel delivery problems. Post some pictures of inside the hull and we can point you in the right direction. You’re probably going to need to replace fuel lines and the selector switch, and rebuild the carbs. It’s nothing too terribly expensive or hard to do...
Hey guys sorry for the delay in response. These are the pictures. I was out on the lake yesterday and it ran great for about 45 minutes and then randomly just shut off and wouldn’t start back up. Yes, I had a full tank of gas when I started. Could that be a result of fuel lines or a need for a carb rebuild?

Attachments

• 3743AD54-172C-4718-B44D-6084DA080DA8.jpeg
    3743AD54-172C-4718-B44D-6084DA080DA8.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 56
  • 135DAC26-60E5-4BD1-92D1-27929F47B93B.jpeg
    135DAC26-60E5-4BD1-92D1-27929F47B93B.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 50
  • 816A97C3-F76D-4865-98B0-2BE285DE1CF9.jpeg
    816A97C3-F76D-4865-98B0-2BE285DE1CF9.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 53
  • FA82C924-8B92-490A-876C-2D19B58F20B2.jpeg
    FA82C924-8B92-490A-876C-2D19B58F20B2.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 50
  • A8EB8CA7-94C8-4383-9290-9EDFAD121882.jpeg
    A8EB8CA7-94C8-4383-9290-9EDFAD121882.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 52
  • 7F4B6393-88FC-4677-B9CE-B405802F3ACB.jpeg
    7F4B6393-88FC-4677-B9CE-B405802F3ACB.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 48
  • ABBD735A-5F91-4AB8-8961-13FFB0E7A6FB.jpeg
    ABBD735A-5F91-4AB8-8961-13FFB0E7A6FB.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 48
  • C8D95A74-28BB-4F2F-927C-3BE0A5A7D713.jpeg
    C8D95A74-28BB-4F2F-927C-3BE0A5A7D713.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 50
  • C31AB534-27B0-43F9-8665-56B713B56088.jpeg
    C31AB534-27B0-43F9-8665-56B713B56088.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 51
First off, the ski looks really good and someone already replaced the fuel lines so that is good.

I see the oil looks like it might be blue so we need to verify what you are using for injection oil?

It also looks like the RAVE valves haven't been out for cleaning.

You really need to stop running it with it "bogging" or you could damage the engine.

I suggest checking compression first so we can get a general idea of the health of the engine.

Then will it still start and bog or is it not even starting now?

First off, the ski looks really good and someone already replaced the fuel lines so that is good.

I see the oil looks like it might be blue so we need to verify what you are using for injection oil?

It also looks like the RAVE valves haven't been out for cleaning.

You really need to stop running it with it "bogging" or you could damage the engine.

I suggest checking compression first so we can get a general idea of the health of the engine.

Then will it still start and bog or is it not even starting now?
I am running quicksilver 2 stroke synthetic marine oil. Is that bad? I figured it was just basic 2 stroke oil I needed to run in it. Maybe I was wrong. I will check compressions in a little while and let you know the result. Am I looking for somewhere in the 60s or 70s? I know on airplanes that’s what is acceptable.

Personally I don't like the quicksilver for a couple of reasons..
1. You should never run a TCW-2 or TCW-3 oil in a seadoo as it doesn't meet the API-TC spec that seadoo requires.
2. There is no such thing as a dual spec oil no matter what the bottle says, it is either TCW-3 or API-TC, never can be both.
3. Quicksilver used to make an actual API-TC oil for the Seadooo's but not anymore.

You really need to be running a full synthetic API-TC oil in that 787 you have and some good ones are Mystic, Seadoo XPS E-Tec 2T, Amsoil Interceptor. You can't mix two different brands so you will have to drain, flush, change the white inline oil filter and bleed the system.

Perfect compression is 150 psi, low is 130 psi and at 120 psi it's done. Checked with Plug wires ont he orange gwound posts, fuel turned off, strong batery and throttle held wide open.

Personally I don't like the quicksilver for a couple of reasons..
1. You should never run a TCW-2 or TCW-3 oil in a seadoo as it doesn't meet the API-TC spec that seadoo requires.
2. There is no such thing as a dual spec oil no matter what the bottle says, it is either TCW-3 or API-TC, never can be both.
3. Quicksilver used to make an actual API-TC oil for the Seadooo's but not anymore.

You really need to be running a full synthetic API-TC oil in that 787 you have and some good ones are Mystic, Seadoo XPS E-Tec 2T, Amsoil Interceptor. You can't mix two different brands so you will have to drain, flush, change the white inline oil filter and bleed the system.

Perfect compression is 150 psi, low is 130 psi and at 120 psi it's done. Checked with Plug wires ont he orange gwound posts, fuel turned off, strong batery and throttle held wide open.
Both compressions came back at 150 psi. So given that it is not that could it be the oil I put in? It won’t even start up now. Would the wrong marine cause it to not even start?

No the oil will not cause a no start condition.
Doe it not turn over or does it just not fire up and run?

I’ll offer you some advice. I bought an old ski in January of 2019. Got so excited. I’ve always wanted one. Took it out and it wasn’t running right. A lot of the same symptoms you have. I kept running it, and sure enough I blew the engine. Cost about $1500 in parts and a lot of my time.
If you want it to work, you’d be well served to make sure yourself that everything is working properly. Oil, carbs, fuel filter, selector switch, pulse line, etc. if you check everything out, including the leak tests and pop off pressures, build you carbs with Genuine Mikuni parts, you may save yourself some time and money in the long run. I basically rebuilt the whole thing, and it runs like a champ. So try your best to figure out what is alarming before you run it again.

It took a lot of reading and listening to guys like Miki and others. If you want to learn, it is unbelievably rewarding. If you don’t want to invest the time, find a mechanic who will work on it and do all the things necessary.

Just my friendly advice.
Ken

Both compressions came back at 150 psi. So given that it is not that could it be the oil I put in? It won’t even start up now. Would the wrong marine cause it to not even start?
[/QUOTE
No the oil will not cause a no start condition.
Doe it not turn over or does it just not fire up and run?
it will turn over but just won’t fire. I tested the spark plugs and got zero ohms. I was thinking that might be the issue.

I’ll offer you some advice. I bought an old ski in January of 2019. Got so excited. I’ve always wanted one. Took it out and it wasn’t running right. A lot of the same symptoms you have. I kept running it, and sure enough I blew the engine. Cost about $1500 in parts and a lot of my time.
If you want it to work, you’d be well served to make sure yourself that everything is working properly. Oil, carbs, fuel filter, selector switch, pulse line, etc. if you check everything out, including the leak tests and pop off pressures, build you carbs with Genuine Mikuni parts, you may save yourself some time and money in the long run. I basically rebuilt the whole thing, and it runs like a champ. So try your best to figure out what is alarming before you run it again.

It took a lot of reading and listening to guys like Miki and others. If you want to learn, it is unbelievably rewarding. If you don’t want to invest the time, find a mechanic who will work on it and do all the things necessary.

Just my friendly advice.
Ken
That’s good to know. I really don’t want to blow the engine out. I am definitely listening to Miki. Thanks for the advice and insight!

it will turn over but just won’t fire. I tested the spark plugs and got zero ohms. I was thinking that might be the issue.
Have you squirted a little pre-mix (40:1) into the carbs or into the spark plug holes and then try starting it.....if it coughs and tries to start or starts for a second or two....then fuel delivery is suspect.

My '96 GTX beat the crap out of me UNTIL I rebuilt my carbs.

No I have n
Have you squirted a little pre-mix (40:1) into the carbs or into the spark plug holes and then try starting it.....if it coughs and tries to start or starts for a second or two....then fuel delivery is suspect.

My '96 GTX beat the crap out of me UNTIL I rebuilt my carbs.
no I have not tried that yet. I’ll try that next. I just replaced the spark plugs (cheap so might as well eliminate that as a possibility).

See if you are getting spark first then we can go from there. Put the spark plugs in the plug caps but leave then sitting on the head so you can see the spark jump between the electrodes. It should be a small blue spark and sometimes you can even hear it arcing.

See if you are getting spark first then we can go from there. Put the spark plugs in the plug caps but leave then sitting on the head so you can see the spark jump between the electrodes. It should be a small blue spark and sometimes you can even hear it arcing.
I don’t see anything coming from the plugs when I take the caps off. Is that a piston problem?

No, remove the sparkplugs form the engine and put the sparkplug wires back on the plugs and just rest the plugs on the engine and crank it over. You should see the plugs sparking.
hqdefault.jpg

No, remove the sparkplugs form the engine and put the sparkplug wires back on the plugs and just rest the plugs on the engine and crank it over. You should see the plugs sparking.
View attachment 48523
Yes I did see them spark. Very small sparks but I could see them. Here is a picture

Attachments

• A9D2F6C1-E9DB-4FBE-AAAF-6558BBAF1B2D.jpeg
    A9D2F6C1-E9DB-4FBE-AAAF-6558BBAF1B2D.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 25
Okay, since you have spark, you almost certainly have a fuel issue, which makes sense. Stop trying to start it this way. The carbs must be rebuilt with genuine Mikuni carb kits and base gaskets, make sure the gray fuel lines are gone, and replace the fuel selector. The entire fuel system needs to be gone through so you can eliminate that as a possible problem. Even if somehow you can get it to start, you will likely grenade the engine if you run it this way. A lean running 2 stroke will tear itself to pieces in short order and then you will be sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back