18 Year Old Needs Advice

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Your ski looks to be in good condition and the fuel lines have been done, so that’s a plus! I always suggest rebuilding the carbs with GENUINE Mikuni parts on any ski that’s new to you, even if the previous owner swears they were already done. With that said, I think you’ve probably got an air leak in the delivery system that is causing the no start condition. Replace the fuel selector. Don’t try cleaning it, as it can make things worse, and they’re relatively cheap. Also check the filter (fuel/water separator.) It should fit snug and have an o-ring that fits in the groove on the cup. Order a new o-ring and go ahead and replace that too. The last place to check would be your pulse line from the crankcase to the carbs. Just make sure that line is clear.

The fuel lines were replaced because they were not manufactured to withstand the dissolving effect of E85 gasoline. But if the carbs were not rebuilt it means that the gummy green goop from the old fuel lines are clogging your carbs and the engine has been running in a lean condition = permanent damage.

I would change the spark plugs first. Then go from there. Sometimes they look great but known to foul on the NGKs. Then like the last poster said change the change the fuel selector that should fix your problems. If not take it to a shop to dial it in.

Another thing that may cause a no-start is not enough battery voltage. I know that you're seeing a small spark with one plug out. With both plugs in and the starter cranking the engine, I'm wondering if "cranking voltage" is dropping below the minimum required to cause spark. I can't remember the minimum voltage required but someone will post it here soon.

Many years ago, I fought the same problem when I rebuilt a 787 for my '96 XP. My AGM battery was fully charged or so I thought. I cranked and cranked and couldn't get it to fire. In desperation, I got on either this forum or Greenhulk and asked for help. One recommendation was my battery voltage being low. I didn't think that I had low battery voltage but I did. I wired two fully charged batteries in parallel and the ski fired right up!

BTW Kylan, that's a 1996 XP and it looks to be in very nice shape. These guys are giving you lots of good advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back