'08 180 Challenger SE cranks but won't start

Status
Not open for further replies.

S.H.

Only 2nd season having boat. No issues end of last season. Got out this season and will not start. It cranks, but won't start. Had battery checked, it is good. Have spark to the spark plugs. Fuel pump seems to be working. "Sensor" reads on dash, but I understand that can be from not being in the water and it not recognizing depth. Used Rec 90 fuel last season and to store over winter. Wiggled the shifter as another post mentioned to check the neutral switch. Not sure what else to check?!

Have someone turn the key to on while you’re listening right over the fuel pump. You should be able to hear if it’s working. The gauge is just a float and doesn’t tell if pumps working. Might have a clogged fuel filter. Also check grounds to make sure all tight. Replace with new sparkplugs too

If the forward/reverse lever is not in neutral the engine will not crank, so if it cranks its not the neutral switch. Remember on these boats that the ECM controls most of the systems (ie: fuel pump) through switching the negative, which means the fuel pump always has positive 12 volts going to it.

If the forward/reverse lever is not in neutral the engine will not crank, so if it cranks its not the neutral switch. Remember on these boats that the ECM controls most of the systems (ie: fuel pump) through switching the negative, which means the fuel pump always has positive 12 volts going to it.
I have a very similar issue...

Could that ground be re-routed by splicing the ground wire going to the ecm and connecting it directly to the engine block? Just wondering if the ECM would keep putting up a check engine or failure code. I am seriously thinking about splicing the ground directly to the block.

My feeling on problems like this is that any procedure to troubleshoot can be used. You can apply positive 12 volts and a ground to the correct terminals of the fuel pump to see if it will come on. Not sure if the boat can be run by bypassing the ECM controls like this but I think you should be able to. The first thing I would do is look for corrosion in the fuel pump wires/connectors path. More than likely its a pump failure, which is a common problem. Search this forum for aftermarket replacement pumps, there is some good info out there.

My feeling on problems like this is that any procedure to troubleshoot can be used. You can apply positive 12 volts and a ground to the correct terminals of the fuel pump to see if it will come on. Not sure if the boat can be run by bypassing the ECM controls like this but I think you should be able to. The first thing I would do is look for corrosion in the fuel pump wires/connectors path. More than likely its a pump failure, which is a common problem. Search this forum for aftermarket replacement pumps, there is some good info out there.
Entire Fuel Pump Module is brand new. I am nearly certain it is a ground issue from the pump to ECM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back