04 gtx supercharged electrical issues maybe?!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

tel

:banghead: Ok guys I'm new to the forum and to owning a pwc. I have owned dirtbikes, four-wheelers etc, for over 20 years and always wrenched on them myself but am stumped on this one. Hoping it could just be the gauge cluster causing the issues but I am not sure. I bought this ski about a month ago. It doesn't have a working gauge cluster in it (if anyone has as working one am interested in buying it) so Idk if that's the root of my problems or not. I replaced the ecm and have the key that is programmed to it.

So here's what it's doing... I discovered I can use any key to start the ski (immediately shut it off since was out of water) I can also start it without having any lanyard attached to the post at all. I don't get any beeps when any lanyard is attached not even one that's programmed to the ecm. I am wondering if since the gauge cluster isn't working (removed the gauge and have power going to it just nothing showing up on the guage) can that be causing my starting without any key issue??? I know the gauge cluster is suppose to communicate with the ecm but I don't think with it not working it would let the engine start? Could be wrong but I would think it wouldn't let it start before it would let it start without a key. I have searched for two weeks online and haven't found any answers.

I have done the following: All fuses are good, tested the Dess post using ohm meter and that is coming back fine, I have tested starting switch and that is coming back fine, I also have replaced the battery but there seems to be a draw on it because it will be dead after a day or two of sitting. I am currently charging the battery back up (out of the ski) and am going to reinstall it without the guage cluster, or start/stop switch, dess post connectors connected and see if the battery gets drained. Am doubting that's the problem with battery getting drained but will see.

Any thoughts or anyone with same issue any help would be greatly appreciated especially before I spend hundreds for a new guage cluster and discover that's not the issue. Thanks.

sounds like your ecu is bad. did someone jump start the ski from a running vehicle?

your gauge is probably fine. when the ecus get fried from jump starting, the gauge no longer works, the beeper no longer works, sometimes the 5A ecu fuse blows, sometimes it won't start at all and sometimes it starts all time.

This is a new to me ski so I don't know what was done to it. I was just thrown for a loop by not getting any beeps especially after the 2nd ecu. First one was replaced because I wasn't getting anything when trying to start it right after I got it (after going through all the obvious stuff and it still not doing anything) ....and then I just happened to touch the t.o.p.s. sensor and it was piping hot so figured the first ecu was shorting out and trying to ground throught the t.o.p.s. sensor. The 2 ecu is a used ecu that was suppose to be in good working condition. If I take it to a dealer will they be able to tell when they hook it up to the BUDS if the ecu is bad? I am not looking to shell out another 300-400 for another ecu and I would like to get money back for this 2nd one if its junk before it's to late.

your beeper could be bad so I wouldn't base anything on that. Yes, a good dealer should be able to tell you if you're ECU is bad but BUDS doesn't always read bad ECUs. They will also be able to tell you if your LCD is bad.

Most people don't give money back for electrical parts, I don't. Since you don't know the history, it's quite possible that somebody messed with the wiring and it's frying ECUs.

Ok thanks. Guess as much as I hate it, it's a trip to the dealer then and see what they can find. I have looked over the wiring harnesses there isn't any obvious splices or any obvious signs of anything having been messed with but I also know that's not saying much as things are not always obvious. Will take the original ecm to and see if they can get any info off of that would like to know how many hours are on the ski if they can get info off the old one. Thanks will let you guys know what I find out.

Just an update for everyone. Took it to dealer today and said without a gauge cluster in there can't do anything said it won't even run right without gauge in it and that gauge is also part of the ignition system is why it is starting without a lanyard attached. It's all part of Sea doo's infinite wisdom of their theft deterrent system. ecm, gauge cluster, and mpem all have to be happily getting along and programmed through buds. So I am at a standstill till I can find a working used gauge and then it will be back to dealer so everything can be linked through buds. If anyone knows of someone selling a gauge let me know not thrilled with the 6-700 pricetag for a new one.

So with this great security system, if someone jumped on your ride at the dock, unplugged the gauge cluster they could start it and ride away?

Was everything this way when you bought it? Know anybody with the same model you could plug the ecu in theirs and see how it works?

IDK that was kinda my thought but once the gauge is unplugged it doesn't run worth a darn. It's really strange it's like it doesn't do the same thing twice when its not all linked together went out and tried starting it without any lanyard and it wouldn't even turn over then plugged lanyard in and it started shut it off removed lanyard and pushed button and it started without the lanyard so IDK for sure if once get gauge and have everything programmed that it will be solved. I haven't had the ski long not even been on the water with it yet :banghead: will see what happens when I find a guage and take it to dealer hoping it all meshes and runs like a champ but am not holding my breath either I have years and years of experience with atv's, four wheelers, use to race motocross but the ski's are new to me and the amount of "security features" and the need for everything to communicate with each other on this particular ski is enough to make me :puke:

Unfortunately I am the only one with this model of ski so I can't swap parts. I wish I knew someone could get expensive seadoo seems to like the 6-700 for every part, gauges, ecm. Will see what the verdict is when I get a gauge I guess. Figure either way I need to get the gauge so it's the next step.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back