04 GTI has me stumped

Status
Not open for further replies.

LKGrider

Premium Member
Premium Member
Working on an overheating issue. All stock 04 GTI. Removed hose where it goes into the top of the motor from the pump. Flushed out pump side. Ran water hose on other side and it runs fine and stays cool. On hose water comes out of tell tale stream on side of ski and out of the exhaust back near the pump. In water it overheats. Removed pump and wear ring is fine. Water passages are clear at pump. Impeller has normal wear but not heavy damaged. Any ideas?? :banghead:

How you know it is over heating? Alarm go off? Might be a bad sensor. Engine and exhaust hot? Back flush it good? Check engine drain?

Well the alarm does not go off. First noticed when it started to bog down. Opened seat and saw exhaust smoke inside. While I was taking seat off a few drips of water dropped on pipe and sizzled. It burned a hole in rubbed exhaust joint. Replaced the joint and test rode. Alarm does not go off but pipe will burn the sh!t out of you if you touch it. Seems to stay ok while running on the hose. Not sure about the drain tube. It appears to be clear. I wonder if exhaust may be clogged up somewhere? :confused:

Have you accidently switched the two hoses on the back of the motor? When you say it stays cool on the hose but not in the water that is whats leading me to think this. if your standing behind the ski the left side hose should be connected to the back left side of the jet pump housing and the right side to the right. When you hook up your hose it should be from the outside on the right side of the jet pump and water comes in under pressure and flushes the water backwards. if your two lines are switched which sometimes people confuse because when they flush the engine they think the water should follow the flow of the arrows marked on the back of the engine head, but when they do this and the ski is in the water it is not flowing water from the jet pump into the top of the head. Also check your small 1/4in lines that run from the top of the exhaust pipe to the other parts of the engine. I had the same problem and the line running from the front of the engine down to the middle of the pipe was twisted and kinked up. I was about ready to give up until I followed it with my hand and not just my eyes

Have you accidently switched the two hoses on the back of the motor? When you say it stays cool on the hose but not in the water that is whats leading me to think this. if your standing behind the ski the left side hose should be connected to the back left side of the jet pump housing and the right side to the right. When you hook up your hose it should be from the outside on the right side of the jet pump and water comes in under pressure and flushes the water backwards. if your two lines are switched which sometimes people confuse because when they flush the engine they think the water should follow the flow of the arrows marked on the back of the engine head, but when they do this and the ski is in the water it is not flowing water from the jet pump into the top of the head. Also check your small 1/4in lines that run from the top of the exhaust pipe to the other parts of the engine. I had the same problem and the line running from the front of the engine down to the middle of the pipe was twisted and kinked up. I was about ready to give up until I followed it with my hand and not just my eyes

I am pretty sure the lines on the back are correct. I was looking at the cooling system diagram and I believe they are correct. I did not check the smaller ones. It is pouring rain here. As soon as I get a chance I will go check those lines out.

Did you check your exhaust system (muffler) for holes in it? Some welding points have a tendency to fail. I blew an engine two years ago and the only explanation for it is that there was a hole in the muffler. Cost me a new engine and welding on the muffler and a new oil pump, etc. etc. etc.

Benji.

Did you check your exhaust system (muffler) for holes in it? Some welding points have a tendency to fail. I blew an engine two years ago and the only explanation for it is that there was a hole in the muffler. Cost me a new engine and welding on the muffler and a new oil pump, etc. etc. etc.

Benji.

Going to inspect and pull the exhaust asap. I want to check the small hoses plus want to see inside it for a possible clog. Another theory I was thinking is it may cool ok on the hose due to the force of the pressure from the hose but not in the water because if the exhaust is partially clogged it won't allow enough water to flow just from the load of the pump forcing the water through the system.

I don't know how the muffler could get clogged but a hole in it is easy. I assume your 04 is similar to mine. Mine had a hole on the top of the muffler (a welding point the size of a quarter) where the rubber hoses go in. The previous owner had put some muffler putty on it and it didn't catch my eye when I bought it. However, when the ski went to the repair guy one month later, this was one of the first things he told me. Water was literally not flowing in the muffler for cooling. And then the engine started to exhibit some bogging down until water found its way inside the engine. I am not a mechanics, but then I knew something was very wrong.

Benji.

I don't know how the muffler could get clogged but a hole in it is easy. I assume your 04 is similar to mine. Mine had a hole on the top of the muffler (a welding point the size of a quarter) where the rubber hoses go in. The previous owner had put some muffler putty on it and it didn't catch my eye when I bought it. However, when the ski went to the repair guy one month later, this was one of the first things he told me. Water was literally not flowing in the muffler for cooling. And then the engine started to exhibit some bogging down until water found its way inside the engine. I am not a mechanics, but then I knew something was very wrong.

Benji.

Def going to check this theory out. Sounds just like what this one is doing. Was yours running hot too? Or just bogging down?

Bogging down and then "engine skipping". But at some point there was water in the engine. Found this by removing plugs and try to start because it wouldn't turn anymore. Thought it was the solenoid but it was full of water. Died shortly after.

Benji.

Well I checked compression after last test run Friday and it was 145 on both. Maybe if this is the issue it will be caught in time.

Issue is that it never leaks when engine not running and when you are running, well you have the seat on... I guess running in the water with the seat off and tied on the trailer could reveal a few things. If I had known, I would have tried that.

Benji.

Issue is that it never leaks when engine not running and when you are running, well you have the seat on... I guess running in the water with the seat off and tied on the trailer could reveal a few things. If I had known, I would have tried that.

Benji.

Thanks for the info. I will let you know as soon as I get a chance to check it out!

Got any water in the hull? The casting ports, the quarter sized round circles on the exhaust pipe develop leaks when they corrode. Leaks water into the hull. Reduces the pipe cooling. You may not see this happening. The hull should have very little water in it at the end of the day. Stuff from the beach or weeds on the water can clog the cooling system. A good reason why you back flush.

You have a plugged cooling line or fitting on the exhaust pipe. Remove the pipe and inspect all the fittings and hoses.

Chester

Finally had a chance to get out and look at it again today. I did find one of the smaller lines on the pipe routed wrong and due to that it was folded in half and kinked. Going to take it to the water tomorrow and see if that was it. Hoping it is! I'll report back and let you know the outcome.

Well that pinched hose was it! Took it to the water the other day and it ran great. No over heating. Thanks again everyone for all the tips and suggestions!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back