03 XPDI power drain... rectifier?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bowlerx

hey guys,

so, on my 03 xpdi, i rode it about a week and a half ago. rode great. no problems. went to take it out on thursday and wouldnt start. checked the voltage on the battery and it was at 9 volts. thought that was weird, so i unplugged it and threw it on the charger. the next day i put it back in the ski and fired it right up. weather was crappy, so i didnt go out and left it in my garage. couple days go by and i checked the voltage just for the hell of it. came out as 10.5 volts.

now i have a power drain of some sort. i pulled the rectifier to check the diodes and it read .470, .462, .471. not sure what the numbers are supposed to be at and yeah, i have searched.

when the ski is charged enough to start it, it runs perfect. just if it has been sitting for a few days, the battery goes dead. kinda like if you left a dome light on in the car. also, the battery is maaaaayyybe 2 months old.

my questions are:
what are common electrical issues on a DI?
is my rectifier bad judging by those numbers?
how can i test for a power drain?
what are some methods you guys have done if the same thing happened to you?

please let me know if you guys have any insight. its just the beginning of the summer. i dont want to miss it cause of something that i am overlooking, lol. i appreciate it!

I know my 97 gsx has some parasitic draw from the vst system if I'm recalling correctly, either way when I know I won't be using the skis I just leave both batteries unhooked while they're being stored

I know my 97 gsx has some parasitic draw from the vst system if I'm recalling correctly, either way when I know I won't be using the skis I just leave both batteries unhooked while they're being stored
over the winter i disconnect the batteries from my skis. never have disconnected them over the summer cause i ride them frequently. ill pull the VTS fuse and see if it still drains when i get home from work. it was weird. i hooked it up about a month ago and it never drained. it was about roughly a week of not riding it and it drained to 9 volts. just scratching my head on why.

All my DI skis will slowly drain the battery. Not as fast as you describe unless the battery is old and weak.
I have installed battery cutoff switches to alleviate this.

So, I put a dmm on the neg terminal to the dmm, to the new cable and saw a few intermittent spikes. Pulled the VTS fuse and voila. It never did it again. So, something is wrong in the vts and I'm just not sure what it could be. Any ideas?

All my DI skis will slowly drain the battery. Not as fast as you describe unless the battery is old and weak.
I have installed battery cutoff switches to alleviate this.
Post a picture for reference. I might steal that idea!

So, I put a dmm on the neg terminal to the dmm, to the new cable and saw a few intermittent spikes. Pulled the VTS fuse and voila. It never did it again. So, something is wrong in the vts and I'm just not sure what it could be. Any ideas?
Think it's just by design, honestly since my ownership haven't experienced what you have as dramatically. Probably an indicator your although new battery might be going out?

Don't know, I primarily ride on the weekends some come putting them in the garage sunday I like to leave the hood open on my HX and seat off on the GSX with the neg cable on battery disconnected. Just peace of mind really.

Think it's just by design, honestly since my ownership haven't experienced what you have as dramatically. Probably an indicator your although new battery might be going out?

Don't know, I primarily ride on the weekends some come putting them in the garage sunday I like to leave the hood open on my HX and seat off on the GSX with the neg cable on battery disconnected. Just peace of mind really.
Here's a video of it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back