03 rxdi low rpms and speed issue

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well maybe I just wasted $360 then haha...t.
I don't think you wasted anything. The part is damaged and should be replaced. I go to ebay for most of my parts and get them used but in good condition. I have nowhere near the experience on jet skis as many of the members here but... I know machinery and I love figuring stuff out and understanding the why's. :)

Is it normal for the gauge to be bouncing a bit on idle but steady when rpms slightly increase? The gauge numbers stop at 100 but the needle can keep going past it a bit. Looking at the others numbers on the gauge it has to be at 107 for sure when just barely increasing revs. I will try and get ahold of a higher reading one tomorrow though and post a few pics of first connecting lanyard, cranking but not firing (will unplug coils and injectors),and finally running on idle.

You can just put the plug wires on the grounding posts. Also if you hold the throttle wide open the ski goes into flood mode and shuts off the fuel.

I will be changing the water regulator today and putting it in the water after to see what it'll do. I don't know where I can only get a diaphragm at but I will search more. I have plenty of dealers around me so we'll see. May have to just buy the entire regulator which seems pretty cheap anyways

Well guys I couldn't have done it without your help!! I could not get ahold of a diaphragm today for the wcv but I did order one and will be replacing it. But just to see what it would do I put rtv on both sides of the pinhole used a zip tie instead of that rusty clamp. And it's now hitting 6800rpms on the lake around 54 or 55mph on gps. Does that sound about right? It is a bit windy and choppy today. Once the new jet pump comes in I will see if I can get those mph closer to 60. Remember I'm currently running one with quarter sized chunks missing on 3 fins. So we shall see. Again thank you all!

Also I did replace the inline fuel filter, and the gas. The gas turned out to be bad btw...it looked yellow in a clear container but once I let that yellow gas sit in the container about an hour I noticed it became cloudy and I could not see through it anymore! Pumped it all out and put fresh 93 which was clear as water!

Well guys I couldn't have done it without your help!! I could not get ahold of a diaphragm today for the wcv but I did order one and will be replacing it. But just to see what it would do I put rtv on both sides of the pinhole used a zip tie instead of that rusty clamp. And it's now hitting 6800rpms on the lake around 54 or 55mph on gps. Does that sound about right? It is a bit windy and choppy today. Once the new jet pump comes in I will see if I can get those mph closer to 60. Remember I'm currently running one with quarter sized chunks missing on 3 of the vanes. So we shall see. Again thank you all!

Also I did replace the inline fuel filter, and the gas. The gas turned out to be bad btw...it looked yellow in a clear container but once I let that yellow gas sit in the container about an hour I noticed it became cloudy and I could not see through it anymore! Pumped it all out and put fresh 93 which was clear as water! Hope this can help someone else in the future!

Next time you go out hold the throttle a 6000rpms and see if the ski develops a slight miss. It will be almost unnoticeable.
I’m working on something with the 2002 and up DI engines.

Next time you go out hold the throttle a 6000rpms and see if the ski develops a slight miss. It will be almost unnoticeable.
I’m working on something with the 2002 and up DI engines.
I'm glad u said that because I did notice a miss when I went out today. But mine is midrange not anywhere near 6000rpms. If I slowly ease into the throttle it will sound and kind of feel like its misfiring between 3500ish to 4600ish range but still moves the ski just fine in the water. Now of course if I gun it it picks up like nobody's business without missing a beat. I've read this may be normal for some skis because they are 2 strokes. But didnt think it would be with this one sense it is fuel injected. But hey I didnt engineer the thing so what do I know. Lol

But now that I think of it jesse... i didnt exactly try to hold it at 6000rpms steadily. I will definitely try it though in a few days and get back with you. I was more holding it steady at the midrange and noticed the misfire. I'm wondering if it is a fuel delivery issue or maybe oil injection issue? Getting too much oil vs gas at partial throttle? What are u lookin into? You have me curious now

Great News !! Where did you order your water valve? I am having trouble finding one for the GTX. I want to get a couple on order for these two skis.

Great News !! Where did you order your water valve? I am having trouble finding one for the GTX. I want to get a couple on order for these two skis.
I just ordered the diaphram not the entire valve. Type this number into ebay and you will see plenty of them going for about $20 or so

The midrange mis is very common on 2-stroke skis. It has to do with the exhaust and mufflers and just the nature of a 2-stroke. I haven’t been on a seadoo that didn’t do it.

You can get one from Westsidepowersports. I have gotten several from Nick and all good used quality.

The midrange mis is very common on 2-stroke skis. It has to do with the exhaust and mufflers and just the nature of a 2-stroke. I haven’t been on a seadoo that didn’t do it.

Correct.
In 2002 the DI engine changed due EPA regulations. On my pre 2002 DI skis the skip is less noticeable and at a different rpms.
The 2002 is a SBT reman engine and the infamous two stroke skip is more pronounced. I’m thinking that SBT might have mixed pre 2002 cylinders, head or something with post 2002 engine as they are slightly different, or it could be that this is a characteristic of this engine.

I just ordered the diaphram not the entire valve. Type this number into ebay and you will see plenty of them going for about $20 or so

What are you going to do to replace the raggedy clamp at the top that can't be unscrewed? I've been pondering this. I guess I could make something but then again.... I didn't look that closely at it. I really only need one diaphragm but I'll get two and do both of the skis.

T
What are you going to do to replace the raggedy clamp at the top that can't be unscrewed? I've been pondering this. I guess I could make something but then again.... I didn't look that closely at it. I really only need one diaphragm but I'll get two and do both of the skis.
Just break that rusty clamp off and put a zip tie there tight as u can and cut the extra off the zip tie. Unless your referring to the clamp that holds the diaphragm to the circular top plastic piece? If so, mine was just fine and didnt need replaced.

Quick question guys...so I thought the wcv was supposed to cut off water supply to the exhaust when you rev it up? Well when I took it out yesterday I backed it in on the ramp and took off the hose going from the wcv to exhaust. I barely had any water coming out on idle but when I rev it up it shoots more out. I thought this was supposed to work the other way around? I mean it has to be working If all of a sudden my speed and rpms are where they should be after sealing the pinhole in the diaphragm.

Correct.
In 2002 the DI engine changed due EPA regulations. On my pre 2002 DI skis the skip is less noticeable and at a different rpms.
The 2002 is a SBT reman engine and the infamous two stroke skip is more pronounced. I’m thinking that SBT might have mixed pre 2002 cylinders, head or something with post 2002 engine as they are slightly different, or it could be that this is a characteristic of this engine.
Wonder if it's bad for the engine to hold it midrange while its misfiring. Is it better to be wot most of the time?

Quick question guys...so I thought the wcv was supposed to cut off water supply to the exhaust when you rev it up? Well when I took it out yesterday I backed it in on the ramp and took off the hose going from the wcv to exhaust. I barely had any water coming out on idle but when I rev it up it shoots more out. I thought this was supposed to work the other way around? I mean it has to be working If all of a sudden my speed and rpms are where they should be after sealing the pinhole in the diaphragm.

I am interested in this. I took my valves off yesterday just to check them both out (2 skis) . The water line on TOP is the one that gets closed off. The connection on the bottom is the line that comes from the pump. At least that's how mine was connected. I didn't look at the system or how it worked. :)

I am interested in this. I took my valves off yesterday just to check them both out (2 skis) . The water line on TOP is the one that gets closed off. The connection on the bottom is the line that comes from the pump. At least that's how mine was connected. I didn't look at the system or how it worked. :)
Yes that's how mine is too. Did u have holes in your diaphram? Mine was clearly caused by the clamp right below it.

Nope. There is a calibrated spring in the WCV. As the rpms increase the water flow increases overpowering the spring and allowing a water spray into the hot exhaust keeping it cool.

Yes that's how mine is too. Did u have holes in your diaphram? Mine was clearly caused by the clamp right below it.
I didn't go into it... I am on vacation and riding the skis. I am going to have a problem getting the clamp loose and am contemplating what I will do to replace it. If I take it apart.... the ski is done till I get home. Question though... could a leak like we are discussing hurt mid range performance? I got decent top end but no punch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back