02RXDI fluctuating RPM

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brprxt215

Hi everyone, I just purchased a 02RXDI last week from a repair shop out of state. The guy put it in a test tank before purchase and it seemed all there. Bring it home and back it in the water on trailer and let it warm up. Rev it a couple times and got 7200rpm like manual states. Take it off and ride it for about a minute and a half at WOT at 6800rpm and 40mph. That’s not right for a 951. On the way back to the dock it would start fluctuating rpm between 6800 down to 5000 instantly and fall on its face for a split second then pick up and drop again. Eventually it stalled out but fired up instantaneously but would have to work the throttle to keep it going and couldn’t get over 3800rpm. Got it home and started thinking about it that the rapid decrease in rpm would be electrical so I pulled rectifier it was an aftermarket one which I know is a no no so I ordered a oem one from WestSide Powersports. Tried it again today and still only 6800 rpm at 40mph. The fluctuation seemed to not be there but I only rode it maybe 3 minutes since I know it’s still not right. I have not checked fuel pressure ( I assume it’s good because wouldn’t rpm drop gradually if it was loosing pressure?) not sure what to do next. I’m a little in over my head with this direct injection. Any help or guidance would be appreciated. Also attached is A picture of the plugs. It has a total of .8 hour since I’ve owned it and these plugs were new when I bought it. Look a bit lean to me?

Attachments

• 24B7FBB2-654A-4E70-B307-D3F1A2C4E8BC.jpeg
    24B7FBB2-654A-4E70-B307-D3F1A2C4E8BC.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 11
If your only getting 40mph at 6,800rpm it’s more than likely your pump. At 6,800 you should be way over 40. Check impeller, wear ring and last carbon driveshaft seal if the impeller and wear ring are ok.

If your only getting 40mph at 6,800rpm it’s more than likely your pump. At 6,800 you should be way over 40. Check impeller, wear ring and last carbon driveshaft seal if the impeller and wear ring are ok.
Impeller and wear ring looked to be ok I did look at them. Carbon seal is not leaking water but is looking worn like it’s ready to.

Your rpm doesn’t match your top speed so something is wrong with the drive system.

6800 RPM should be roughly 57mph. Your wear ring has gotta be crap. .020" clearance is correct. I generally send off the injectors for cleaning and I'd consider replacing the filtres in the fuel tank.

I'm gonna make a test rig for fuel pressure in my DI

Your rpm doesn’t match your top speed so something is wrong with the drive system.
Thank you for leading me off the fuel system. You were correct. Wear ring clearance is way too big and the nipple on the driveshaft is shot. See attached photos! Thanks for the advice!

Attachments

• 372A2CD4-6E8F-40E8-913D-589438AC3847.jpeg
    372A2CD4-6E8F-40E8-913D-589438AC3847.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 26
  • 70BAD6F6-D990-481C-A422-435B8CF651C0.jpeg
    70BAD6F6-D990-481C-A422-435B8CF651C0.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 20
6800 RPM should be roughly 57mph. Your wear ring has gotta be crap. .020" clearance is correct. I generally send off the injectors for cleaning and I'd consider replacing the filtres in the fuel tank.

I'm gonna make a test rig for fuel pressure in my DI
Thanks for the advice! See above photos wear ring shot!

Impeller looks ok though so that’s good.
Can I ask your opinion. This is just a flip ski. I ordered a new wear ring to hopefully help get the speed back into the 50s. When I pulled the impeller off I have these two chunks in the veins. Should I buy a housing off eBay for $85 and install the new wear ring in it or should I just put the wear ring in mine and hope it gets me the speed to match the rpm. My concern is putting the wear ring in mine I don’t get the speed and I’m stuck buying another wear ring and a housing later

Attachments

• 5CBF2200-AE5F-4E59-AD92-1CCE96B93D1D.jpeg
    5CBF2200-AE5F-4E59-AD92-1CCE96B93D1D.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 15
Hey guys so I put the new wear ring and now it won’t even go wot. It starts to rev up and then stalls and fires right back up. How do I know where to start? Do I start at fuel pump or injectors?

If anybody has any insight into getting this pieces of crap off I'm all ears. LOL This is the console that must be removed to remove the fuel module. IF there is an easy peasy method please share. :D

Center Console  (1).JPEGCenter Console  (2).JPEG

If anybody has any insight into getting this pieces of crap off I'm all ears. LOL This is the console that must be removed to remove the fuel module. IF there is an easy peasy method please share. :D

View attachment 47121View attachment 47122
Look up the video on YouTube for the guy changing the fuel pump on rxp. Basically the same thing. I think he said there’s three clamps and then two clamps you can reach from underneath

I just take the glove box, reverse lever and those 2 side pieces off as one piece. I don't even bother separating that anymore. Works pretty good for me.

I just take the glove box, reverse lever and those 2 side pieces off as one piece. I don't even bother separating that anymore. Works pretty good for me.
I think that is the best way. The right side is easy to pop off the push pins. but I couldn't get the screws out of the reverse lever for the left side. Those clamps are hateful and brittle. Difficult to do one at a time. need a tool to engage all 4. I might make something for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back