02 GTX Limited smoking

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

bama1981

02 GTX Limited had a lot of smoke. Too much oil in engine, drained oil and filled correctly it still smokes and runs rough. Checked the compression and it is jumping around from 145 to 180 in each cylinder. I pulled the valve cover off and noticed the Chain Guide Tension and Guide Chain were both destroyed and the chain feels rough. Could this be causing the compression changes? Should I change the chain and guides? Do you think this could resolve the issue? Looking for input as I don't want to go deep in the engine unless I have to. I have put a camera in the cylinder and the pistons appears ok.

Yes, a stretched timing chain will cause the valves to not be in sync causing a leak down of the compression hence why you see the fluctuation. If there is no other damage shown, i would start with the chain and guide.

Even with those numbers which are spot on besides the fluctuation?
Of course. The compression rings are different from the oil rings. How else is it burning oil? You have to tear the engine apart to replace the timing chain anyway (remove the crank).

Chester

BRP/Dealer has a tool they use to replace timing chain without removing crank and cam shaft, There is a Tech video showing how to use tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back