01 Seadoo GTX turns off at high RPM's

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

zbhsmith

I have a 2001 Seadoo GTX with 80 hrs on it. I did a carb rebuild a few weeks ago. It has been running flawless up until now. I went to get on it this past weekend and the engine compartment had some water in it. It about an inch above the bottom of the vent tubes. Instead of driving it to clear it, I pumped it out. Once that was done, I cranked it up and every thing was running fine. I went to take off and it would not plane over, so I gave it full throttle and a soon as it his 7000 rpms it completely turned off. I cranked it back up and this time I feathered it around 5800 RPM and planed over and started to ride like normal. Once I get over 6200 to 6800 RPM's it will drop out and if I give it full 7000 it will turn itself off. I was thinking an electrical issue at first. Then I looked it over again last night and I found the where the water was coming in at the boot seal around the drive shaft. I tighten that up and rode it to clear the water out. On this drive when it started to loose RPM's I pulled the choke to see what it would do and it would bogs down but then jump back up to high RPM's. typically when it is falling off at 6200 to 6800 it does not seem like a bogs down, the engine sounds normal then just drops RPM's. It is idling a little rough but not bad, it was doing that before the carb rebuild. I have only had this ski for a few months. I ordered a bore scope to see what the top of the pistons look like. I have a cheap Harbor Freight pressure gauge and it read 140 psi on both cylinders when I got the ski, I've been told the HF gauges are crap but at least they both measured the same. I have never worked on any jet skis, but I have built all other kinds of engines, looking for somebody to point me in the right direction. I plan to rebuild both ski's I have this winter, I just don't want to keep driving this one, if this is a serious issue. My though is either it is running too lean or an electrical issue that can keep up with the RPM's maybe a coil pack or something like that. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I would check every connection starting at the battery,,every fuse,,,and I would pull the carbs again...it is possible,,,but rare,,,maybe you have water in the clear diaphram on the pulse/pump side,,,these checks will cost you nothing other than your time,,,and recheck your compression.

Check the rectifier. If you can, disconnect it. Not familiar with the 2001 but my 1996 refused to rev above 5k RPM until I replaced the rectifier.

Ok so I checked the compression with a new good tester and both were 145 psi. I checked and cleaned all connections I could fine. One of the leads on one of the coils was loose. I checked the carbs while on the ski, sprayed some seafoam cleaner on them. Nothing changed, fixed the leak. I took it out, it seems to run better but will drop rpms still at about 6500. It would still completely cut off at 7000. I did get a bore camera and check the top of the pistons. It was lightly black but I could still see the metal color. Spark plugs looked good.

The carbs were fully rebuilt 3 weeks ago. It was running fine for the past two weeks, then this started happening. I know the seafoam would not have done any type of cleaning, but it would eleminate and moisture in the crab throats.

Does anyone know of there is any type of reset for mpem. I think this is an electrical issue I'm experiencing, but I am still pulling the carbs when I get a chance.

Check all your connections as mentioned above. To test the rectifier rev ski to 5500 ish rpm and check voltage at battery, should be 13.5 to 14.5 ish volts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back