01 gs dead in the water

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

dkello1

Riding today for about 45 minutes out on the water and the gs has been performing BEAUTIFULLY after a major fuel system overhaul.

Cleaned the carb
replaced the lines and clamps

well today, went riding with my little bro. after the firs t 45 minutes we took a chill in the middle of the water and cut off the motors and talked for about 15 minutes or so, after that we went ahead and gave them a start and headed on... about 30 seconds into our journey while he was riding at WOT the ski died abruptly as if it ran out of gas... he switched it over to reserve even though we had JUST filled up the tanks, and sill no kick over.... the motor turns, has compression and the spark plugs were like a 14# on the "snipe" scale lol. everything looked as though it should be working. but no matter how long we held the start button it just wouldnt fire up.... towed it back to land (after pinching my hoses of course) and got them out of the water, still no start.

Im getting spark
There is fuel in my secondary fuel filter right before the carb and its crystal clean looking.
the battery was a little weak but even connected up to another battery no mas.

where do i start guys. these things have been nothing but spuradic issues since the day i got them. im close to giving up and taking it to a dealer.

ps should i be checking my rectifier here?

also spark didnt appear to be as bright as a i think them to be but this may just be my personal opinion.

thanks in advance

My xp 951 did a similar thing x ams day.

Messed around for ages trying to get fuel at the plugs. Don't assume fuel is is getting to the cylinders until you can smell petrol at the exhaust or preferably the plugs are wet with fuel when you remove them.

In the end mine just started going again. I put the problem down to a blocked air vent on the fuel tank which gives fuel starvation symptoms but not really certain. I think once the carbs are empty of gas they seem to vapour lock or something and they need a bit of persuation to get the fuel through them.

possible a stripped brass gear, on the RV assy. Pull the carbs and turn the PTO, while watching the RV turn. If not, theres your problem. Anyway, good time to double check the carbs/filters.

i dont think its the brass gear to be honest. it wouldnt be a bad idea to check im sure, but i dont think thats my issue lol..

i did a simple pouring of the gas into the carb... and it fired right up. im not sure why my whole carb would shut down considering ive put 3 hours on it since the last carb cleaning and fuel system rebuild (replaced all my tempo lines) Ive even filled up the gas with fresh gas for the second time already. it left me dead in the water after all of this very randomly.

i ordered my rebuild kit

(super cheap by the way.... go to google and type in a&d discount performance... i paid like 70$ for the rebuild kit, new accel diaphram, and needle valve and seat)

i will post pics and updates when i get the rebuild kit and fix everything up.

Post 2 = X2

Sometimes even you've done all, and then something is overlooked or an act of
the principles of nature occur. You may have bought gas that had some moiture
in it, hence, something as simple as a water droplet could have sabataged your
outing and a water molecule is blocking the gas from routing thru your carb.

holy wow. i didnt even think that that was a possibility. i will be toiling with it all tonight when i get home just to see what the deal is. i will most likely be pulling the carb off regardless just to do another once over to see if any of the grey goo gunk has lodged itself back into the carb from the bottom of the tank (the gas that was in there was 2 years old when i got my jet skis.) thanks for the tip. i never would have thought lol

Power loss?

Post 2 = X2

Sometimes even you've done all, and then something is overlooked or an act of
the principles of nature occur. You may have bought gas that had some moiture
in it, hence, something as simple as a water droplet could have sabataged your
outing and a water molecule is blocking the gas from routing thru your carb.

I have to agree with bills86e. If you can prime the cylinders with fuel and it runs and sounds good, then your problem is going to be in your fuel circuit.

You said you did a major fuel system overhaul. I'd re-inspect. Looking over the pulse line and diaphragm. Also double check the fuel routing. There was a member about a year and a half ago that had the 951, XP I believe. He said it would run for a while, then start to sputter and cut out, kinda like yours. By the time we finished troubleshooting, we found his fuel outlet (crossover line) was crossed to his tank return line instead of the inlet.

Def sounds like you've got a loss of fuel pressure or even moisture that might have built up in your tank like stated previously.

Oh, BTW, you paid about $30 bucks to much for your super cheap purchase from A&D. You can by the kit and choice of needle valve and sat for about $40 or $45 bucks. :cheers:

man i feel like a big dope. the issue ended up being nuts and bolts. i put the carb back to gether after the last rebuild apparently half-$$$ed. When i pulled the carbs off i realized the choke and throttle bracket was EXTREMELY lose..... all but one of the diaphram bolts had come completely out of the carb resulting in... you got it... no fuel from the accel pump getting into the carb haha. so yea snipe. wasted money. it is afterall my hole in the water right? lol at least i have a comlpete rebuild kit with new accel pump and all haha. so when it does go bad... i will now have everything there. half full always!

Thanks again guys.... cant beat stupid with a stick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back