Xp 800 to run premix

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

goodtoogo

I am planning to run using premix and disabling the 2 stroke pump.
I have picked up from this forum that the crank is lubricated with 2 stroke fed directly from the 2 stroke tank. ie it does not get fed from the pump or after mixing I the throttle bodies. So running premix and removing the tank would result in no oil on the crank. Is this correct,?
If a reservoir is supplied for the crank could you not use a quailty engine oil as opposed to 2 stoke.?

SD oil pumps are generally considered very very reliable but if you are determined to go premix you can run a loop using the old lines to the engine case and add a T (like a flush T for radiators, $1 at autozone) You can also use a small reservoir like a brake reservoir from a motorcycle for a little reserve. If the oil tank is staying in then feed it from there.

THere is no valid reason for going to premix on these you will use way more oil and still have to supply oil to the rotary shaft cavity.

If you must go premix the easiest way is to leave the oil tank and keep filled with only API-TC rated 2-stroke oil. Then pull the oil pump and remove the plastic drive connecting the oil pump to the crankshaft and reinstall the pump. Now premix at 40:1. The best way is to leave the oil tank connected to the rotary cavity then get a block off kit to remove the pump and cap the intake manifold nipples.

Personally I'd leave the oil injection installed unless there is an issue with it. Premix will use more oil and possibly cause plug fouling at idle to low speed.

If you decide to go premix, I would leave the reservoir in and add enough oil to the tank so the oil sensor doesn't throw a light on the gauge.

Thanks to all with the feedback. I am impressed with the build quality of the rotax motor , and equally grateful for the information shared here. So I will keep the ski bog standard with its pump. I now also understand why the correct grade of 2 stroke is vital

just to add, If your ski is STOCK then i would keep the oil pump but you need to replace the oil lines and the filter. If your going to hop that thing up I would go premix. I buy 5 to 10 skis a year and they still have the stock oil lines on them with 1/2 of the skis blown up due to maintenance.

Unless your large oil lines are hard or damaged, the only lines you need to change are the 3/32" lines going from the pump to the RV cover

Here’s a reason to go premix. Premix never fails, but pump components do. My pump is fine and if I’d just tested the pump it would have shown fine, but removing the plastic gear found this failure. Very unlikely anyone would have seen this coming when just testing the pump. I caught it before it failed by doing a planned pump bypass.

Attachments

• 92C282E5-F29E-4938-9FBF-3B4D42B71D31.jpeg
    92C282E5-F29E-4938-9FBF-3B4D42B71D31.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 20
  • C18CC5B5-4EAD-4E57-9D12-5E115FBD1702.jpeg
    C18CC5B5-4EAD-4E57-9D12-5E115FBD1702.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 20
You must be one of the unlucky ones as in 25 years with these I have personally never seen one fail.

I am not saying that it can't happen but it is so unlikely I don't recommend anyone go premix. On the Seadoo's you are more likely to have a random failure like a bearing going or piston pin snap ring than an oil pump issue. 99.9% of the time it is the little 3/32" oil lines that fail or dirty carbs from lack of maintenance then everyone blames the oil pump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back