WSM Gasket Top end gasket kit on my 951 1mm / 4 over bore - Whats inside?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

davemath

So I went the route of a 1mm over bore to fix the OEM piston ring and RAVE crash scoring on my 951 RX DI. I bought the WSM platinum pistons and their WSM top-end gasket kit. I put it all together by mimicking the installation on the parts from what I removed from the OEM head on the ski.

I can't find for the life of me find a parts list or description of what is used for the top-end gasket kit. The big gaskets are obvious, but the smaller o-rings are my "what are they" question.

I'm assuming some of these smaller ones are for the RAVE. But do some go on the head studs on the engine? I didn't remove any from the OEM setup, so my initial thought was no.

I installed the cylinders with copper spray on the cylinder gasket and with nothing on the head gasket, plus not using any of the small o-rings on the head bolts. She runs well with the over bore and RAVE shaving. So a mechanical success.

Here's the bad: Inside the engine, I have a "shiny head" (photo) along with water crystalizing (photo) on the spark plugs and some water droplets on the RAVE (yep, another photo) valves. So I've got an issue with water ingress.

I've watched Youtube videos an searched for info on the forums here, and I'm not finding anything detailed on the process for a top-end work for the head gasket to get a good water-free seal.

Any tips on where to point me or ideas? THANK YOU!

Attachments

• IMG_0628.JPG
    IMG_0628.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0622.JPG
    IMG_0622.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0621.JPG
    IMG_0621.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:
So WSM got back to me today and said it's the outer RAVE gasket, which is the flat one I figured, and the smaller gaskets are for the air pump. Guess I'm going to have another project!

Any of you have tips for the head gasket reinstallation? I'm considering some hi-temp oil resistant RTV on the water jackets of the head...

Attachments

• image0-2.jpeg
    image0-2.jpeg
    721.3 KB · Views: 10
  • image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    119.4 KB · Views: 10
The head studs use o-rings and you should use the copper spray on the head gasket.

Thanks Mikidymac. I did not remove any o-rings from the gaskets on this 951 when I disassembled, and I didn't see a fitting for them to recess into.

The kit doesn't have enough for the heads - but the bolts had blue locktite on the top.

Is there a link you can send me on this?

I think these kits are kind of one size fits all as I have several laying around.
I am not completely sure but some of the o rings are for carbed skis head studs. The DI doesn’t have o rings, they have head bolts with blue plastic covers on the head.
I had one kit that included two of the large o rings that go under the air injectors .
Most of the other O rings are for the rave valves.

Jesse, your message was the big wow moment. The DI has no gaskets but has the blue stuff on the studs... The blue is very well etched on, not rubbery like silicon.

WSM hasn't given me a PDF or mockup of the o-rings, but say that they are for the air pump... Surprised I'm the first to ask for this bit of detail.

Today I'm going to copper spray the head gasket, put locktite into the top and dielectric grease on the bottom of the head studs and hope for no water ingress on this attempt.

I still haven't seen a good "use these coatings" when doing a head rebuild online, and the factory service manuals aren't too detailed either other than the exploded diagrams...

For what it is worth the blue plastic pieces on the head bolts usually are damaged and not reusable. I just use anti seize most of the time.
if I remember correctly someone on here used a dab of blue RTV in their place.
Copper coat for me is the way to go as I use it quite a bit.

Thanks Mikidymac. I did not remove any o-rings from the gaskets on this 951 when I disassembled, and I didn't see a fitting for them to recess into.

The kit doesn't have enough for the heads - but the bolts had blue locktite on the top.

Is there a link you can send me on this?
951 carb engines have o-rings on the studs, the Di do not.
I removed the blue locktite with a small screw driver. it pops right off. I assembled per the SD diagram. In the diagram #28 is Locktite 243, #29 Molycote 111
SD head bolts w wo o ring.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back