Wrong oil for many hours

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sugarfoot

Picked up a 'great deal' on a 1997 GSX and a 2003 GTI-LE RFI - had sat for over a year under a nasty tree but had been winterized last by an independent mechanic who owns and services 2-stroke Seadoos.
This mechanic has been filling these and selling the previous owner a 'blended oil' in bulk - says he's been running it for years in all Seadoos, Skidoos, and every other 2-cycle engine he works on, no problems.

I usually go by the book in my boats and cars and will go back to X-PS as stated in the owner's and shop manuals.

Question.... 1) am I looking at any permanent damage to these units that will eventually show up? Each has about 150 hours on it, start and run fine.
2) I already siphoned out the GSX, all but a few ounces but I cannot get a siphon tube down the GTI LE RFI. I don't see any barriers in the sketches in the shop manual. I don't feel like pulling the tank if I can avoid it. Or should I just run it through?

Blended oil?

What kind of blended oil is he sellling. Their is the full synthetic and their is a synthetic blend. Either of these oils should be fine for your ski.

If the engine has run for several years with that blend, I would not change it out. The carbonizing and ring wear is worked in with that type oil. Changing it now can cause your bearings to fail.

You can go from mineral to synthetic, buy you can't go from synthetic to mineral.

If this was a new ski, I'd worry a little bit about it, but with the age of the 97, I'd use what he's been using.

The RFI, I would go ahead and change it over to synthetic...........:cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back