Worry over electronic parts for my 2012 230 challenger SE

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Darrylj

Hi

Word on the street is that bombardier has stopped making boat parts for all their boats and that certain non-engine and pump parts are going to be in short supply or non existent in the next few years. I love my boat but thinking maybe I should sell now vs hang onto it and find myself scrambling for parts and paying extreme prices for these parts. I would be interested in anyone’s thoughts on this topic.

Concerned seadoo owner

I wouldn't worry about it, just enjoy your boat. Aftermarket and good used parts will still be available. We have no issues keeping our 25 year old skis running still.

Seems we see this post at least once a year and have for sometime. The vast majority of the boat accessory parts are generic and easily located for far cheaper than BRP, time and time again I have found this to be true. The 'power packs' are nearly identical to their pwcs, I have had several Sea Doo pwcs 2004 and newer, the parts are very easily swapped. Like mentioned above enjoy what you have!

Seems we see this post at least once a year and have for sometime. The vast majority of the boat accessory parts are generic and easily located for far cheaper than BRP, time and time again I have found this to be true. The 'power packs' are nearly identical to their pwcs, I have had several Sea Doo pwcs 2004 and newer, the parts are very easily swapped. Like mentioned above enjoy what you have!
Appreciate the comment

Something else to consider... If your all in on a jet boat only as I am. Sea Doo made a hell of a boat, and they continue to hold their value very well. Well constructed hulls and great power plants and easily maintained with the correct tools and knowledge.

We are looking to upgrade to a 24' Chaparral, having looked at the Yamahas time and time again we see the differences in the two brands. We were originally looking into a Sea Doo 230 but we feel with a small child it's necessary for a head and some of the updated features a newer boat will have. Still today for the money it's hard to beat a Sea Doo we are going to have to open up the wallet to get into a Chaparral. We love our Sea Doo and if we didn't feel a bigger boat was going to be a benefit we would even consider a new boat. No worries in the least of a parts shortage!

From personal experiences, some parts are easier to get than others, while others are not so much. Some of the few OEM parts I couldn't get are with ECMs (different programing compared to Scarab ones), dashboard switches (The internal mechanisms and connections are identical so I ended up taking apart the replacement switch and place the outer metal components on it so that you can't tell it was replaced). Gauge clusters are possible. The trickier stuff usually involves boat specific parts that usually consist of affecting ECM communicating between dual engines (wiring harness) or others stuff minor stuff. But most often, not too bad to get. If you have a bimini issue though, you can't get a new one and have to have a new one made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back