Wont go over 35

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lisa Crandall

Just bought a 2002 gtx 4 tec 155 with 160 hrs and 65 miles. We took it out for the first time and could not get it to over 35. The rpms were 7500 to 7800. My husband couldnt get it pass 30 at 8000 rpms. Checked the impeller looks good. Does anyone know what we should do next?

Just bought a 2002 gtx 4 tec 155 with 160 hrs and 65 miles. We took it out for the first time and could not get it to over 35. The rpms were 7500 to 7800. My husband couldnt get it pass 30 at 8000 rpms. Checked the impeller looks good. Does anyone know what we should do next?
Have a look at this attachment.....could be a RAVE valve shut open....I'd check/eliminate that as a first step...17 year old ski...could probably use a good internal cleaning

Attachments

• 20190723073646.pdf
    78.8 KB · Views: 10
How many keys did you get? One is a training key and only lets the ski run about 35 mph and the other one is the go fast key. My go fast key has a yellow float and the training key is white (could be different as mine is an 04)

One guy here had his keys mixed up when he bought his new ski. On a 2002 model however I wonder if there was even a green key.

Usually when you have normal RPMS and no speed your drivetrain is the culprit. PTO back to the pump. Eliminate the inexpensive stuff first. Wear ring clearance with impeller. It’s called a wear ring because it wears. Get yourself a shop manual and play detective.

I had the same issues with my 2004 GTX SC 185 and mine turned out to be one bad fuel injector. After it was replaced she ran like the wind!!!! 62 mph all day!!!

If you have the RPM check the following
Wear ring to impeller clearance
Check splines on drive shaft front and back splines if nothing found wrong on pump wear ring

The engine is rotating at max RPM which means the drive shaft splines or impeller to wear ring clearance is to big
This is taking into account it has the correct impeller installed
Pics following are of a 2002 GTX 155 which I am repairing now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back