Which Wear Ring Is Right

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking at wear rings and there are 2 part numbers for GSX models coming up. I've got 290 and 653. Is there an easier way then going out and using calipers to find size? I have another pump that's a 290 but the area behind the ring looks to be same, so idk if the ring is just thicker one. Or should I just need looking at what impeller in going to use and match that? I've got 2 different year GSX models and there are a lot of changes in some areas, so is this one? I want to ring both, so if I need to get this selection process figured out asap. Thanks guys

Seadoo only makes two wear rings, a 144 mm 271000290 and a 155mm 271000653.

What model and year ski do you have?

Go to the parts list and look up your ski. It will have the correct part number and you'll be able to see all the parts you will need. I don't buy aftermarket Wear Rings. I prefer to go with Seadoo for a consistantly better fit and quality for the price as far as i am concerned. I don't like trouble. :D Good Luck !!

I have switched to the delrin ones that some one recommended on here and have good luck with it. I just had to replace lower quality one that had a rubber coating that tore that layer off. The other ski has the delrin one and its holding up.

140mm for the gsx
155mm for the gsx Ltd.

I use wsm rings personally, I can't say oem has been any better in my experience.

Thanks guys. I've got a 1997½ and a 1996 GSX. I haven't pulled apart the 96 yet. I have the 97 apart and next to it a 94/95 SP. My 97 has parts in it that the wikis and parts list don't match up. The pump assembly does mount to a plate compared to the SP which is just siliconed to the hull and has thru hull connections. I've got a pile of SP pumps and a few impellers, but the 97 GSX impeller looks stock and it's beat to hell. The SP has a Skat Track on it and there's a bright shiny stainless one as well. I was thinking about swapping around some impellers since I'm selling the SP and a GTX. But I don't know if I need to buy a whole new impeller, or which ring. I get both results when I look it up. Both part numbers. I tried measuring them today again, but they're so damn close I can't see enough difference to call it. Impellers are in the way for a flat measurement, but I'm getting around 6 ⅜" on both if I remember right. I was really only looking at the fractions of an inch closely. There's not 15mm difference between them though. Maybe a couple, 5 at most, but I'd bet they're right there with each other. I was gonna get a set of calipers tomorrow and get a better measurement, but there's no way it's over ½". I can put up pictures of everything I've got so far.

Attachments

• 20210522_204310.jpg
    20210522_204310.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 20210522_204256.jpg
    20210522_204256.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 20210516_174132_resized.jpg
    20210516_174132_resized.jpg
    245.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 20210516_174132.jpg
    20210516_174132.jpg
    329.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 20210516_174007.jpg
    20210516_174007.jpg
    329.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 20210516_174034.jpg
    20210516_174034.jpg
    420.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 20210516_174029.jpg
    20210516_174029.jpg
    362.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 20210516_174020.jpg
    20210516_174020.jpg
    342.5 KB · Views: 14
First off, the first picture with the red hull...... What color is the top deck? White or Silver?

In all seadoo's with 787 and smaller engines up until 1998 used the 140mm pump and use the same wear ring. Seadoo changed from an all aluminum pump to a plastic and bronze pump around 1996-1997 and they still use the same 140mm wear ring. The plastic/bronze pumps will only work with the skis that use the plastic hull shoe in your first picture and you can't use the aluminum pumps with those plastic shoe hulls.

You will not be able to use any of those SP impellers in a GSX as the pitch will be way too low for the higher horsepower engines.

Last edited:
First off, the first picture with the red hull...... What color is the top deck? White or Silver?

In all seadoo's with 787 and smaller engines up until 1998 used the 140mm pump and use the same wear ring. Seadoo changed from an all aluminum pump to a plastic and bronze pump around 1996-1997 and they still use the same 140mm wear ring. The plastic/bronze pumps will only work with the skis that use the plastic hull shoe in your first picture and you can't use the aluminum pumps with those plastic shoe hulls.

You will not be able to use any of those SP impellers in a GSX as the pitch will be way too low for the higher horsepower engines.
I'm glad you said that. They fit perfect, it's still a 140mm. It's kinda weird, I've got 3 impellers, and they're all completely different. I put the skattrak in, but I've got a Solas that's a lot closer in shape. I forgot the damn name of course. Idk the pitch numbers on anything yet. It's a real challenge trying to Google the info and search each site for an impeller that's that old. I'd like to find a comprehensive list of different impellers for them, or build one. It looks like the distance between surfaces is sightly larger on the Solas than the stock SeaDoo, then there's a dramatic decrease with the SkatTrak.

So basically- by pump housing material type

Metal- Solas increase of maybe ½"
Plastic Off GSX- SeaDoo, likely original
Metal Off SP- SkatTrak "69" stamped, decrease in distance, probably as much as half, maybe 2" between top and bottom swirl surface

I'll get pictures when I get home. I'm at a heart appt and gonna grab some Quicksilver pump oil. I'll try to look for more info on Google now that I know a bit more what I'm looking for. There's nothing on these things that's difficult to work on, but there's certainly a whole sperate knowledge base for marine and jet drives.

Every guide I find about impellers never really mentions the seals. Pulling apart pumps I found a lot of little rings I didn't expect, there's a lot of mating surfaces, the nose cone has a ring, there's a boot on the impeller and shaft at the bearing. I can't seem to find just a plain o-ring and seal kit. Pump rebuilds all come with bearings and stuff I don't need. I'd prefer to just change out at least the boot for the shaft at the bearing chase, rather than reuse it. One cone the shaft actually started wearing on the nub that's in the cone center and the oil looked silver with water. The GSX cone is spring loaded actually. I pulled all 3 with a breaker bar, but the drain plugs also look like they had loktite on them, blue loktite. Is that really necessary? I had separate colored oil in the bearing chase. Is the pump oil supposed to feed that? Or do you think packing the bearings would be a good idea?

There is no standard for impeller pitch as Seadoo, Skat-Trak and Solas all measure them differently. You just have to go by each manufacturer's application guide.

All seadoo 2-stroke pumps take oil, never grease. And you can buy just the cap o-ring directly from seadoo.

There is no standard for impeller pitch as Seadoo, Skat-Trak and Solas all measure them differently. You just have to go by each manufacturer's application guide.

All seadoo 2-stroke pumps take oil, never grease. And you can buy just the cap o-ring directly from seadoo.
I see what you mean. I just spent an hour researching them and that's a confusing ass topic. It doesn't help that companies like Solas have product descriptions for every product that they make that just say "get the all new right from the lab patented amazing design in ultimate acceleration and speed performance". Then the wiki says go up/down for holeshot/top end. Like just tell me what the literal difference is between your product lines. Concord/X-Prop(why isn't it X-Imp?)/Dynaflow etc... Fuck

The "rebuild" kits show like 4 rings, etc with the bearings, but I haven't found the seal at the bearing/driveshaft behind the impeller. It would probably be easier with an actual SeaDoo dealer/site that I can get exploded views that far back with part numbers. You'd think a pump seal kit would cover some seals... There's not a dealer here, and sites like SBT are inconsistent. Last time I pulled up just OEM wear rings they had them but the delivery was over 2 weeks out, so I decided to look around and when I got back to them their entire listing was different and only showed a white delrin ring. It's been a bit of a nightmare.

I found a few sites that list the 1997½ skis but it's just more confusing generally. As long as it's not electrical, I can get away with 1996 parts a lot, sometimes it's 98. I'm gonna go pull apart an actual 96 today and see what's inside. It's gotta all use that plate, it's the same hull. Oh, my upper is a pearl color. It's not exactly white, but it's not silver unless it's a really light silver. It's more like a metallic white but... Yeah more silver.

I see what you mean. I just spent an hour researching them and that's a confusing ass topic. It doesn't help that companies like Solas have product descriptions for every product that they make that just say "get the all new right from the lab patented amazing design in ultimate acceleration and speed performance". Then the wiki says go up/down for holeshot/top end. Like just tell me what the literal difference is between your product lines. Concord/X-Prop(why isn't it X-Imp?)/Dynaflow etc... Fuck

The "rebuild" kits show like 4 rings, etc with the bearings, but I haven't found the seal at the bearing/driveshaft behind the impeller. It would probably be easier with an actual SeaDoo dealer/site that I can get exploded views that far back with part numbers. You'd think a pump seal kit would cover some seals... There's not a dealer here, and sites like SBT are inconsistent. Last time I pulled up just OEM wear rings they had them but the delivery was over 2 weeks out, so I decided to look around and when I got back to them their entire listing was different and only showed a white delrin ring. It's been a bit of a nightmare.

I found a few sites that list the 1997½ skis but it's just more confusing generally. As long as it's not electrical, I can get away with 1996 parts a lot, sometimes it's 98. I'm gonna go pull apart an actual 96 today and see what's inside. It's gotta all use that plate, it's the same hull. Oh, my upper is a pearl color. It's not exactly white, but it's not silver unless it's a really light silver. It's more like a metallic white but... Yeah more silver.
Please post a picture of the engine in your ski, that will end the question once and for all.

Seadoo Warehouse is a site sponsor and has factory parts diagrams. https://www.seadoowarehouse.com/oemparts/c/sea_doo/parts

It's beige and purple. The top cover and lower end beige. I can't get a good pic right now. But yeah, simple 787. As long as it's mechanical so far I can just go backwards a year if I hit one of the sites that don't list a 97 or have 97½ as an option. Anything with the computer tho, it's the 26-pin single unit style. Sometimes I can't get a listing for 97 unless it's RFI or Limited, which is not. Just carb 787.

If it’s a carbed 787 it is not a 97 1/2, it’s just a plain old 1997 GSX. Seadoo never made any weird half year models for your ski.

You should stop calling it a 97-1/2 GSX because that’s the “Greay Ghost “ and is the only true 97-1/2 GSX and has the first year 951 that’s different than all other 951’s. It causes a lot of confusion on our end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back