Where's my fuel float? (2006 Sportster 4-Tec)

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

LouieNet

"In the fuel tank!"

Okay, my fuel gauge seems to be stuck on full, so I'm just trying to figure out where my fuel float is installed in my tank. I downloaded the shop manual for my 2006 Sportster 4-Tec, and I did read the several threads about the stuck gauge. But dang if I can find where that float is mounted/installed in my fuel tank. A little help please?

You have to remove the middle seat cushion that you sit on. There is a circular lid that screws off which will give you access to the top of the fuel tank. There you will find the bolts holding the fuel pump and fuel level float. There are several U-Tube videos detailing the changing of the fuel filters which also details the float assembly. The video link shows a good video of the setup...

Oh my gosh! Thank you! I'll let you know how it goes.
Had a super brand new scarab with a 4tec, that had the fuel float stuck at the top, they had no gas, but gauge read fullish.,the boat was sold with just 22 hours on it, no one could solve the no start issue, bent the float, issue solved.

Okay, I finally got to my fuel pump module and found that the fuel level sensor was not stuck. I’m beginning to suspect that the problem is with the gauge.

One piece of useful information for the diagnosis is that the fuel gauge always showed full even when the boat is completely off.

Any hints for testing the wires to the gauge at least? The photo is the back of the gas gauge.

Attachments

• 8C7D5E38-8BB9-4E28-B615-59121D93412C.jpeg
    8C7D5E38-8BB9-4E28-B615-59121D93412C.jpeg
    208 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
The gauge has a variable resistor, just wondering if the issue is with the circuit board?

Could be.

There seems to be a ton of posts about this issue, but no one has solved it. I guess I’ll pop open the gauge and see if there’s a part inside I can replace. Wish me luck.

Could be.

There seems to be a ton of posts about this issue, but no one has solved it. I guess I’ll pop open the gauge and see if there’s a part inside I can replace. Wish me luck.

Just a FYI that if you want to replace the gauge I just added an auto meter fuel bridge and a new gauge 30-240 ohms. All the new gauges work off this ohm reading. The fuel sensor is 90-0 empty to full. Not to be confused with 0-90. The fuel bridge allowed me to learn the parameters. Worked perfectly!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back