What sort of damage could overfilling the oil cause?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smk12

I have a gtx230. At the start of the season I did an oil change, stupid me forgot to push the ignition switch and empty the rest of the oil into the oil pan so I ended up overfilling the oil. I took it out and ran it for a bit before realizing my mistake. I drained the excess oil while it was on the float dock. While running it I noticed oil in the water behind possibly coming from the jet or the impeller. I’ve used it regularly the last couple weeks, until yesterday when the oil light would come on and the engine would lose power. After turning it off and back on it would run normally again but every now and then the light would flash on and I would lose power. Today I checked the oil and it was very low. I added oil and ran it and it was fine, but when I came back to the dock to flush it out I noticed more oil in the water. Was wondering what could be wrong? Could something be blown and leaking oil?

The oil light came on and you just kept running it ? Really ??
Your initial problem was that excess oil was being slapped by the crank and then going out the vent which in turn the oil was going through the intake system and being burned and sent out the exhaust which happens to come out by the pump. Just keep running it as it will take some time for all the oil to get through the system.
You should read your manual on how to properly check the oil, I bet half of the guys out there are doing it wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back