What is this Jetski

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrobbo

Bought this for 250 dollars, supposedly just need an mpem to fix it, was told it was a 1996 gtx limited with a 951 cc engine, but looking at it and on the internet for a bit and something just doesn't add up. It has a sticker on the top of the ski that says gtx.
Last number of the HIN is 96 so the hull is from a 96 model?

ski.jpg

From what i can read off the engine plate, the type is 587 and the engine capacity is 580.7cc and the EIN is 457432. But looking at the engine it is definitely is a 947 so I guess someone has swapped some of the engine parts? i will update with a photo of the engine tomorrow

ski2.jpg

Does anyone know what this ski actually is

Haven't actually taken mine out of storage from winter, the weather hasn't started to get warm in my area yet. I'm sure one of the other members here could produce a photo faster than I could.

Bought this for 250 dollars, supposedly just need an mpem to fix it, was told it was a 1996 gtx limited with a 951 cc engine, but looking at it and on the internet for a bit and something just doesn't add up. It has a sticker on the top of the ski that says gtx.
Last number of the HIN is 96 so the hull is from a 96 model?

ski.jpg

From what i can read off the engine plate, the type is 587 and the engine capacity is 580.7cc and the EIN is 457432. But looking at the engine it is definitely is a 947 so I guess someone has swapped some of the engine parts? i will update with a photo of the engine tomorrow

ski2.jpg

Does anyone know what this ski actually is

Probably what happen is it's hot or stolen at some point, the telling sign is why would someone go through the trouble of switching the serial plates on the engine and hull? That's a 99' maybe 98' GTX limited. The first year of the GTX with the 951 was the 98' model. In 96' it was green with a 787.

Here's what you can do to really figure out the actual HIN number. Empty the gas tank and remove it, there's another HIN plate under the tank. They do this to throw a theft off...because most people don't know about it, but it's there...

There is no way someone would go to the trouble to install a 951, paint the bottom the same color and install OEM graphics to make a 1996 into a 1998-1999.
Take look at the VIN tag, it looks like the last digit could be an 8. This would be correct for a 1998 GTX Limited and the graphics on yours are 1998.

Probably what happen is it's hot or stolen at some point, the telling sign is why would someone go through the trouble of switching the serial plates on the engine and hull? That's a 99' maybe 98' GTX limited. The first year of the GTX with the 951 was the 98' model. In 96' it was green with a 787.

Here's what you can do to really figure out the actual HIN number. Empty the gas tank and remove it, there's another HIN plate under the tank. They do this to throw a theft off...because most people don't know about it, but it's there...
Cheers mate

Thanks mate, ill have a look under the tank and see what it says

There is no way someone would go to the trouble to install a 951, paint the bottom the same color and install OEM graphics to make a 1996 into a 1998-1999.
Take look at the VIN tag, it looks like the last digit could be an 8. This would be correct for a 1998 GTX Limited and the graphics on yours are 1998.
Tag definitely has 96 at the end, but thankyou

What happened to the 1st post #2?

Duplicate posts and the merge didn’t work. Sorry.

From the decals and everything else it’s a 1998 GTX Limited that someone put a 96 vin tag on.

99’ graphics are just a little different.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back