What is this boat worth to you?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

stevenf

I had a spare of the moment idea to sell my two skis and purchase a speedster. I found one a few houses down from me which is a 97 Challenger 1800. I like the Challengers MUCH better, I like the idea of a bigger machine and more people on board. The boat however is a fairly large project.
Good: Hull is in solid shape minus fading. Nothing a good buff and polish wont fix. Decals are in good shape, Steering wheel, controls, and gauges are all there and function able.

Bad: Seats are all in bad shape. Not only torn, also missing chunks of foam. I was told that it was purchased as a project. he got both engines running. took it to the river, one engine wasnt running perfect and the other was worse. He then got a quote of $3,000.00 to rebuild one engine and do carburetor work on the other. Therefor, there is a box inside the boat with the carbs(still assembled) from one engine.
Also, When I opened the small center storage door in the floor, I noticed some water in the bottem of the boat. It had just rained heavily 20 minutes before and the rear plugs in the hull have been left opened.

Now, He wants $1,000.00. I offered $250.00 but I am thinking of counter offering to $500.00 and slowing going to $1,000.00
I can rebuild carbs, I can disassemble and reassemble engines for rebuild, I can reupholster seats, I can buff and polish. I have changed drive shaft bearings, pump oils, impellers, wear rings... Pretty much all typical old seadoo jetski repairs. There is no doubt in my mind I can have the boat finished in a few months.

I am looking for experienced opinions. What would a barely covered(from weather) solid hull boat, needing new seats and having two engines in a box of pieces be worth to you? I obviously would want the project to end costing less money then a used one in good shape. Does it seem likely? Have you found that these boats tend to fall apart from sitting a long time such as gauges breaking, wiring corrosions, throttle/choke cables breaking?

Man it sounds like your right on with the $500 thought. This guy is facing the parter-outer dudes offer against yours for the shape it's in. Sounds like your skills and enthusiasm are what it takes to bring it back. I hear those things drink gas like nobody's business.

before the thread moves, i'll chime in.

first, what a nice, well thought out and detailed post, thank you, it deserves a response.

I did a similar jet boat project and I don't regret it at all, it worked out very well for me.

i'd buy it, and pay somewhere between 800-1000 and be very happy at that price.., and i'd probably go up to 1500+depending on these "engines"

is a trailer included ? bonus if yes

get your stack of benjamins together, go buy the boat, you won't be sorry, this is a very good buy at 1K.

upholstery isn't that bad, visit http://seadooupholstery.com/ , i've used them/him and so have others, he's a member here as well, for a very fair price you'll have precut vinyl, patch the foam, its no big deal if you have handy hands. even if this boat turns out to be a real dog, you'll be happy with the cost of the seats :)

the engines, battery, electronics, one step at a time, we can walk you thru it.

Man it sounds like your right on with the $500 thought. This guy is facing the parter-outer dudes offer against yours for the shape it's in. Sounds like your skills and enthusiasm are what it takes to bring it back. I hear those things drink gas like nobody's business.

yes they do, they should be in guinness for
"Most Gas used at 30mph in a recreational watercraft, ever"

Last edited by a moderator:
$1k is reasonable for an 1800 project. (that includes a trailer)

If you buy 2 reman engines from STB... and assuming that they electronics are good... you will have $2500 to make it run. Then you can get new seat covers for about $500, and you can rebuild the foam cheap. I just glued in chunks in my Sportster project.

So... ready to go, and looking good.. you would be around $4k. That boat is worth $6k (in the spring time) if it's clean and running good. So... it's worth it.

If you can get it for $500... even better.

Are the engines run with separate mpem's? Aren't they the same as any 787issues jetskis engine? How much would a good piston and gasket top end lit cost?

Are the engines run with separate mpem's? Aren't they the same as any 787issues jetskis engine? How much would a good piston and gasket top end lit cost?

i believe its one computer, although if its fried you can replace with two grey boxes but its tricky (i've been told)
yes they are the exact same 787 engine.
a good piston/top end kit will run you $170 (piston kit + gaskets) on ebay.
(maybe a little more but I think I just paid $169 about 4 weeks ago.)
cylinder boring should cost $95 for two...

you'll also probably need some other misc gaskets, exhaust, etc if you start taking it apart, and budget another $150 for misc misc.

step 1, do a comp test, where are you on that, if closer to 150, leave it alone, if lower, move to plan b..

if heading to plan b...

you'll have to pull the top end, inspect the cyl's, see if they are in good shape, and stock sized (important for proper clearances) otherwise you'll be boring out the cyl's to maybe .5 to match your new .5 pistons, (190 for 4 cyls at most machine shops, get a good shop not some donkey)

much depends on the exact condition of the engines themselves, if they fail the comp test, what I would do is pull both engines, put them on the work bench and start bagging up bolts as you dig in... with a little luck, both engines can be fixes reasonable, or at least you'll have one good engine and one top end or something like that. If they come out of the boat, honestly, i'd strip them bare, inspect the cranks, bearings, everything, blast & clean everything, reassemble & paint before putting back in, i'd also paint the exhaust just to make things look better. (there goes two more gasket sets, $140)

For $1000 you should be good. I recently bought a 99 with seized engines and bad upholstry for $1800. Spent $3200 rebuilding engines, carbs, pumps, new impellers etc.. and $800 on upholstry. In my market the boat is worth around $8K so I am ahead.

After I closed the engine lid, I couldnt get it openeds again. I believe the cable broke...?
Any idea how to open it now?

If it helps any, there is one for sale close to here for $3000 that runs but needs what looks like the whole interior.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back