What is it????

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

whimbly1

I Have my 2001 GTX DI out today. Battery went south on me. I had it on a maintainance charger but When I checked it a couple days ago it was flashing indicating that the battery was bad. Got a new one in today and started her up. I'm going to fog the engine again before I back it back in the shop. However, there is a port on the air intake that has puzzled me for a while now. I hope someone can clue me in. Here are a couple of pictures.

Attachments

• HPIM1114.jpg
    HPIM1114.jpg
    566.3 KB · Views: 32
  • HPIM1115.jpg
    HPIM1115.jpg
    423.6 KB · Views: 39
Thats odd, but it gave me an interesting idea... Are you the first owner of this ski ? If you get a membership you can look it up in the shop manuel, also look at the parts catalog at the top of the page, it may give you a clue..

Hey Robin,

You said that you would take a guess. It does seem like that would be what it would be used for. Wish I knew for sure. If it is, it sure would make fogging the engine easier.

Ben

Click on the parts link at the top of the page and find your ski then look and see if that is the same part in the photo. I think it may be the injector for foging. A manual would come in handy for you. :cheers:

Checked it out and that is what it is for. I fogged the engine using it and works great. Sure makes life easy.

Thanks for all the help.

Ben

when you's talk about fogging the engine what do you mean by this ( sorry if im being thick lol )

you mostly do it when you put the boat away for an extended period of time... generally is what I do is take out the spark plugs and shoot a lubricant of choice in the cylinders and then crank it over.. This coats the walls and piston protecting it from condensation and such..

thats my high level view, if you use the search function on this web site I think there are a few detailed write-ups on it..

Seadoo sells a "storage oil" in an aerosol can, with an attachable straw that you can stick into the rubber nipple in the top of the air intake (depending on model.).

Academy also sells a "storage oil" under Sta-bil's name, and I used that this year.

Basically, just a thick lube in an aerosol can (seems kinda like lithium based, but not sure) that you can spray into the running engine and coat all the carb, intake, and exhaust components to sit for the winter.

Then you usually squirt into each spark plug hole for about 15 seconds each, roll over the engine (by hand or a quick tap on the starter) for just a couple of revs, and put the plugs back in and wait til spring.

It will smoke for the first 5 minutes of running when you start it up in the spring. You may also need to remove the spark plugs and put a rag over the spark plug holes and hit "start" and let the pistons spray the excess lube out the top into the rag. Then reinsert the plugs and start it. Either way, lots of smoke for a few minutes. But the engine isn't seized up.

It is my understanding, from the manuel, that it is a good idea to use lube even during the running season. After a great deal of research, I believe that if your seadoo is going to set more than a week, it is a good idea to spray lube into the engine. Seems like a lot of people wind up putting an engine in one around 80 hours and it is expensive. Evidently, condensation inside the engine occurs pretty quick.

Ben

yes , fogging engine when it sits, even for a week ,will extend the life of the engine greatly!
that little fog tube was the best thing brp did for the 951 air box!
also i highly recomened that you take your seat off and let the hull dry out when ski is not in use.
retained moisture in the hull is a real killer!!
pop your seat off in the summer time and look at that motor sweat!!
so let her dry out, please
mud

Theres nothing like firing two cans of fogging oil straight into the engine through the carbs with the fuel off and its running on the oil. You know its everywhere at that point. And I still give the cylinders a shot after that too.. lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back