Weird start issues....

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 2 1994 SPs, each with it's own quirky issues.

First one just occasionally will only click. That's easy - I figure selenoid. Rest of the time it's fine.

The other only cranks for a few seconds and then whirs. I have to let the whir die down before I can crank again. If I had to describe it, it would be CrankCrankWHIRRRRrrrrrrrrrr.... Trying to start it again 2 early just gives me lots of whirring. Are there bendix issues?

Thanks! you lot are a goldmine!

-rj

Sounds like the starter could be disengaging. I would pull it out and check for wear

I would agree.
#1 sounds like the solenoid or even a weak battery can cause the CLICK.
#2 sounds like the starter is spinning but the actual starter bendix isn't extending and engaging the flywheel. Could be just some corrosion on it.

Are they OEM starters, white, or the cheap ones with the black paint? The one that clicks sounds just like my aftermarket starter, the solenoid was not the problem in my situation. The Bendix is the problem on the other, pull the starter out, clean and grease, put it back in with a new seal.

Last edited:
FYI, new OEM ones are black. But if it doesn’t say Nipon Denso or stamped ND it’s crap.

Last edited:
Weak battery can very well do that. Had that last year with my old GTI that was collecting dust after I bought my new GTI. Starter engages, engine cranks for a couple of seconds then that whirring sound. If I waited, I was finally able to start the engine. Charged the battery and issue was gone.

Having similar issue with one of my starters in challenger Jet boat, twin 787s. Battery fully charged and 1 engine starts just fine. The problem starter just clicks, but works fine with plugs removed. Im confident I have the cheap aftermarket starter. In reading above, looks I should pull and clean the starter and if that doesn't work, replace the starter again.

Only replace with either an OEM starter or used OEM with new brushes.
Could also be the solenoid, cables or connections.

Let it sit for few days, and it cranked for awhile. Not enough to get it started and didnt have any power to crank a second time, just click. I went ahead and ordered starter, want to have ready when weather permits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back