Weird noise/vibration after shut down 2012 150 Speedster

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Martinde47

Hello there, new Seadoo owner and boat owner for that matter. I bought a 2012 Seadoo Speedster 150 with supercharged 260 Rotax. Boat had 25 hours on it at time of purchase. We have used it for about 15 hours so far this summer. After a 20 min ride at relatively low speed, we shut off engine and there was a whirring sound coming from the back of the engine bay closest to the jet. This was not the bilge pump and the exhaust blower wasn't turned on. It was a sound I had not heard before. Boat was vibrating in the water somewhat. There were no warning lights on dash. Engine started and I returned to launch. After ten min ride, the engine was powered down and the sound had stopped. I can't find anything in manual about an electric fan or some form of cooling mechanism. Engine temp was 183 on dash. Does anyone know what this would be? Is it something I should have checked? Or normal? Boat is still relatively new with light hours. Any info would be appreciated. Thank you.

The only thing powered back there is you bilge pump. When it water senses, it runs for a certain amount of time regardless of how long it takes to pump water.

Thank you. Yes after posting this question I did more investigating and managed to make the sound again in my drive way yesterday. It was in fact the bilge. I assumed the bilge only dispenses water from the outlets on sides of boat. Nothing was coming from there but there were bubbles coming from underneath boat. Thank you again for taking the time to respond.

Thank you. Yes after posting this question I did more investigating and managed to make the sound again in my drive way yesterday. It was in fact the bilge. I assumed the bilge only dispenses water from the outlets on sides of boat. Nothing was coming from there but there were bubbles coming from underneath boat. Thank you again for taking the time to respond.
Just bought similiar boat, and I’ll keep this in mind.
thanks for the info!!

The bilge pump does discharge through the fitting on the right side of the boat, at least it did on my 2009 Speedster 150. Even if it was moved it would still be above the waterline. If you are not seeing flow there when it runs, the hose is blocked or kinked or pump not working right etc.

Water needs to reach the spot on the sensor for it to activate. When it does activate, it runs for i believe 2 minutes regardless of how long it takes to pump out. It is common for water to roll back, trip the sensor but then at equilibrium is not deep enough for the pump to pump it out. It does not mean that the pump is bad.

It is installed in my speedster 150 on a raised part of the hull. It is attached by the basket underneath and unless the pump head is pull underwater, it will run and blow bubbles in the water.

Water needs to reach the spot on the sensor for it to activate. When it does activate, it runs for i believe 2 minutes regardless of how long it takes to pump out. It is common for water to roll back, trip the sensor but then at equilibrium is not deep enough for the pump to pump it out. It does not mean that the pump is bad.

It is installed in my speedster 150 on a raised part of the hull. It is attached by the basket underneath and unless the pump head is pull underwater, it will run and blow bubbles in the water.

Thanks that is exactly what happened. Boat was taken for short ride and the driver did not bring it to plane, so whatever water was in bilge flowed onto the pump or sensor. When the boat was shut off there no water left to pump out and the pump was whining and there were bubbles in water. I appreciate this info. Everything is working as it should. I know the pump works as boat was backed into water with plugs open (rookie move). Water was streaming out of the side ports.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back