Weekend River Run

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gman11377

Decided to ignore the bad weather warnings and hit the Suwanee River for some stress relief.Ended up being a beautiful ride up river, past the Suwannee Music Park, stopped at several springs, and only got rained on a little. The SPI ran great, 41 mph on the GPS, it will look better once I get around to recovering the seat.20200913_135025.jpg20200913_140712.jpg20200913_141330.jpg20200913_143214.jpg20200913_143241.jpg

That is beautiful.

How long is the riding area? Anyone else out on it?

I love the SPs, simple and smooth running, good on gas.

I use my machines as my "meditation/stress relief" most of the time. I usually run wide open on the DOOs or sleds in the winter. Last winter I built a trail groomer and went from running 90mph to 15 pulling the drag. Lots to think about and just puttsing along staring at the trail gave me time to try and sort things out. I put over 500 miles on my sled grooming trails and never did figure out how to stop growing older..........

The riding area is far larger than I have gas for. I usually put in at I-75 Exit 460 in Florida (Gibson Park) and ride upriver for hours (stopping at springs and sandbars). Depending on the day you may see no one, or it may be crowded. It is a pretty popular fishing, cruising, and boating destination. You now have my curiosity peaked, could you ride the Suwannee all the way down to the gulf? I may have to find out...
My slow zen-time has always been on a mower, I just cruise and cut...

Ok, just looked into it. It would make an epic jet ski weekend to put in at Gibson Park and cruise down to the Gulf. 220 miles give or take. I want to do that one weekend, will see if my friend Duane wants to try it with me.

The Chena River where I do 99% of my riding is not that long of a run. From the mouth to where it's too shallow to run is about 42ish miles. Lots of shallow areas so you need to keep your eyes open. It feeds into the tanana which you don't want to risk unless you have some experience, heavy silt, whirlpools, sand bars to throw you over the bars and NO ONE to help if you get into trouble. The second you pass the mouth you go from civilization into "the wilds".

I checked out the area you ride in, and I've seen what you have had to do to fix your 'Doo. Your steering arm repair was inspired. That is awesome dedication. I just can't do cold weather. I was born and raised in the deep south, I lived in MT for a few short years following a crazy woman, never again. I hope you have a great time, and stay safe. Thanks again for the inspiration, I will be doing that weekend trip with my lifelong best friend, 220 miles to the gulf, camping along the way some time in the next couple of weekends. It's about halfway planned out.

Ok, just looked into it. It would make an epic jet ski weekend to put in at Gibson Park and cruise down to the Gulf. 220 miles give or take. I want to do that one weekend, will see if my friend Duane wants to try it with me.
That would be interesting. What would be your fuel plan?? I don't ride far but I do get curious as to the range on these skis. I read what the book says but is that reality?? I'd guess maybe 60 or miles on the ski you are riding. I hope you document the journey. You are a regular Lewis and Clark. :D

I've done 30 miles before to get to my inlaws trawler, 15 miles there, 15 back. For the river trip I hope to have my "ski trailer" idea at least usable for the trip. I have a polaris slt780 hull that I'm emptying of everything, plan on towing it behind one of us with a semi-rigid pvc bar with a rope running through it. That should hold enough fuel to get us to a walkable gas station? Refill, rinse, and repeat. Meh, we can only get in so much trouble on a river...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back