Wear ring. Is this an issue?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

mknice1

I have been having speed issues on my ski. I looked at the wear ring and prop. The prop appears to have cut grooves in the wear ring.

I have attached some pictures of my wear ring.
Please give me your thoughts on the wear ring. Is it OK? Does it need to be replaced?

Thanks

Attachments

• 20190801103955.jpg
    20190801103955.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 20190728143508.jpg
    20190728143508.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 20190728143224.jpg
    20190728143224.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 27
The impeller should not be cutting into the wear ring like that. Either the wear ring is bad or the impeller blades are bent into the ring.

I would send the impeller to Impros for refurbishing and get a new wear ring.

I have been having speed issues on my ski. I looked at the wear ring and prop. The prop appears to have cut grooves in the wear ring.

I have attached some pictures of my wear ring.
Please give me your thoughts on the wear ring. Is it OK? Does it need to be replaced?

Thanks

As mikidymac has already stated (in not so many words) ;-):

The clearances between the impeller and the wear ring are very small:

NEW install clearence is -> 0.0 to 0.4 MM (.000 to 016 in)

The wear limit is 1.00 MM (.040 in).

The impeller and wear ring should not touch, but the spining impeller is a blender in the water and will grind up things against the wear ring (weeds, sand, shells, etc., and the wear ring could be compromised over time depending on the conditions, locations used). Grooved out wear rings should be replaced and the impeller addressed for edges and balance (new or refurbed - at your option). A compromised wear ring/impeller could lead to cavitation issues, loss of speed, strange sounds form the rear, etc....

Should I get just the wear ring or a pump rebuild kit? The ski is a 2002 GTX RFI. We bought it last year after it sat for a few years.

We generally don't tell you what to do, only pointers in the (hopefully) right direction.

Mikidymac previously suggested a new wear ring (OEM) and a refurbed impeller......what you do is only up to your time and wallet and level of comfort with working on the ski....it is after all your investment.

A 2002 that has sat for awhile will by its very age have some issues regardless.....a 17 years old ski will need some TLC.

Should I get just the wear ring or a pump rebuild kit? The ski is a 2002 GTX RFI. We bought it last year after it sat for a few years.

Take a look at the oil in the pump cone when you remove the impeller to send it off. If it’s milky or has metallic shavings in it, then go ahead and order the full rebuild kit. If it looks fairly clean, just swap the wear ring and go...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back