Wear Ring Drag

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

etemplet

Premium Member
Premium Member
I installed a new Seadoo Wear ring on my 1996 GTX. The impeller spun easily and I had good clearance all around. I recently installed the engine so it is lined up very well. AFter installing the Jet pump I had trouble turning the new engine by hand with the spark plugs in. Usually I can get it to move. I pulled the spark plugs and still could not turn the engine. I put the key in and th engine turned over nicely. I crawled under the ski only to see a rub on the wear ring and some plastic.... very small amount on the impeller. I put the plugs back in and started the the engine and ran for 10 seconds. Shut it down and I could turn the shaft by hand. So it was just a rub but I now I wonder.

What is deforming the wear ring ? I checked the jet pump landings and they are all flush so the pump should be square on the mounting face. I am considering removing the pump and having a look. I just don't like it. Thoughts??

You didnt have the engine aligned croccet. It happens. Remember sometimes they use pump spacers to set the pump the the hull correctly. Your good to go now. Just send it.

Alignment was spot on with the tool. I'm a machinist by trade so I don't play around with the mechanical end. It's correct or it doesn't go. :D Also the drive shaft cannot easily deflect the impeller through misalignment. Impeller position, wear ring postions are fixed and should not change. So help me out here as I'm not a guru on these things. LOL

It did seem like a little more wear ring surface was protruding from the end of the pump than what I normally see but I thought that might just be me. It mated all the way to the back flush so I did what I could do on the install. I'm thinking the wear ring itself is deformed and here is why. I did install a neopreme gasket as I was instructed to a couple years ago by members of the group. There was no gasket on the pump when I removed it and the part diagram does not call for a neoprene gasket on this model. So, mechanically this is a possible issue. It did take more effort than normal to get the pump to mate up flush.

Help thoughts are appreciated. I am about to pull the pump back off and have a look. I need all the horsepower I can get to catch my wife's ski. No stone will be left unturned. LOL

I guess a good question for me is... does this model ski call for the neoprene gasket or not? It's not on the parts list. lucky fo rme I got lots of pumps around here and I can do some checks on wear ring length. It was purchased from Seadoo. Help is appreciated.

It doesn't show up on all the diagrams but if you have a 140mm pump with the plastic shoe then it should be used.

Perfectly normal, every now and then a wear ring will be too tight and lock the engine once the pump is torqued down. I had this issue on the GSX. I had to start it with the pump loose then tighten with it running on the hose. The impeller shaved the wear ring and then it was good to go. Been running like that since..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back