Wear-ring choice, at these prices.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Klubba

I recently bought my first PWC, a 2005 RXP

Being inexperienced i fed the impeller some rocks, I managed to get the impeller looking decent using a hand-file but my plastic wear ring is badly damaged causing cavitation at low speeds. I'm hoping to get away with replacing just the wear ring and keeping my stock impeller, at least i want to try that first.

Complicating things is I live on the wrong side of the pond, so prices here are very different compared to US.
I've spent literally days searching all web-shops, auction sites and everything else I've come across that will ship to my address and these are my cheapest options:

no-name plastic, $40
SBT plastic, $78
BRP plastic, $170
Solas Stainless, $160

I am pretty tempted to go with the Solas, as their importer seems to be adding the least "euro-tax" and then i somehow feel like I get more value for my money, or less of a rip-off.

Importing from the US myself on ebay would have normally been an option, but international shipping rates seems to have increased quite a bit in these times, and with custom fees and VAT added it no longer makes sense.

Am I right in thinking the Solas makes the most sense at these prices? And will there be any issues running a Solas SS with the stock impeller? I realize there is a higher risk of impeller damage using a stainless wear ring, but as my impeller is already pretty scratched up as it is that doesn't really concern me, also I have learnt my lesson and am now much more careful with shallow waters.

Hoping for some insight from more experienced users, thanks.

Last edited:
I would only go stainless if you are very sure your chances of picking up a rock are almost non existent.

I would only go with a brand that is trusted. Half measures most likely will cost you 1 and half in the end.

Thanks for your input.

And after some consideration, I am now leaning towards the SBT instead.
It just annoys me always having to pay inflated prices ;)

I recently bought my first PWC, a 2005 RXP

Being inexperienced i fed the impeller some rocks, I managed to get the impeller looking decent using a hand-file but my plastic wear ring is badly damaged causing cavitation at low speeds. I'm hoping to get away with replacing just the wear ring and keeping my stock impeller, at least i want to try that first.

Complicating things is I live on the wrong side of the pond, so prices here are very different compared to US.
I've spent literally days searching all web-shops, auction sites and everything else I've come across that will ship to my address and these are my cheapest options:

no-name plastic, $40
SBT plastic, $78
BRP plastic, $170
Solas Stainless, $160

I am pretty tempted to go with the Solas, as their importer seems to be adding the least "euro-tax" and then i somehow feel like I get more value for my money, or less of a rip-off.

Importing from the US myself on ebay would have normally been an option, but international shipping rates seems to have increased quite a bit in these times, and with custom fees and VAT added it no longer makes sense.

Am I right in thinking the Solas makes the most sense at these prices? And will there be any issues running a Solas SS with the stock impeller? I realize there is a higher risk of impeller damage using a stainless wear ring, but as my impeller is already pretty scratched up as it is that doesn't really concern me, also I have learnt my lesson and am now much more careful with shallow waters.

Hoping for some insight from more experienced users, thanks.
I went with solas impeller and stainless wear ring on 05 RXP Jumped up top speed 2MPH!

I went with solas impeller and stainless wear ring on 05 RXP Jumped up top speed 2MPH!

Thanks for your input, but how much of that gain is from swapping a worn wear-ring for a new, and how much is due to the solas impeller? To really know what gains were made from a ss wear ring one would have to also try the new solas impeller with a new stock wear ring.

I have now installed an SBT wear ring, but at the bottom of the pump there is a 0,6mm gap, at the top of the pump the impeller is rubbing against the plastic, sideways it seems perfectly centered. According to BRP wear limit is 0,35mm so 0,6 with a new ring seems big, is this normal?

I took it out for a spin and it seems to work pretty well, can go from idle to full throttle without hitting rev-limiter which i could not with the worn out ring, but from a stand still, as in having it in "neutral", slamming in forward and going WOT it still bumps the rev limiter for 2 seconds or so before taking of. As this is my first PWC i do not know how much cavitation is normal and what is not. It hits 112km/h, 70mhp on the dash and about 56.5 knots (65mph) on the GPS, which I think is pretty normal for an RXP

Thanks for your input, but how much of that gain is from swapping a worn wear-ring for a new, and how much is due to the solas impeller? To really know what gains were made from a ss wear ring one would have to also try the new solas impeller with a new stock wear ring.

I have now installed an SBT wear ring, but at the bottom of the pump there is a 0,6mm gap, at the top of the pump the impeller is rubbing against the plastic, sideways it seems perfectly centered. According to BRP wear limit is 0,35mm so 0,6 with a new ring seems big, is this normal?

I took it out for a spin and it seems to work pretty well, can go from idle to full throttle without hitting rev-limiter which i could not with the worn out ring, but from a stand still, as in having it in "neutral", slamming in forward and going WOT it still bumps the rev limiter for 2 seconds or so before taking of. As this is my first PWC i do not know how much cavitation is normal and what is not. It hits 112km/h, 70mhp on the dash and about 56.5 knots (65mph) on the GPS, which I think is pretty normal for an RXP
And that is why I went with both from solas. Fit like a glove and no issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back