Vibration/nasty sounds- Speedster

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

frankster

I was running my 210 Merc Speedster today pretty much wide open today. I lost power and heard a constant clicking noise. (not a bearing type noise -sounds like its in the pump) The engine sounds fine otherwise. I idled it about 3 miles home and didn't shut down due to worries about getting back to dock before dark. I've looked at the impeller and it looks normal as far as I can tell. I didn't think to try a restart -just put it on the trailer and stuck it in the garage. I wish I'd tried it again -didn't even think I might have a stick in the intake (duh). Its gone now if so. Also, noticed the hull took on an abnormal amount of water it seemed when I pulled the plugs. Anybody have a suggestion on what to check if it sounds the same in the a.m. in the driveway? The sound was like something hitting a fan (constant). I've read alot of your posts concerning wear-rings. Is that a possibility? I'd sure appreciate someone pointing me in the right direction (except to a shop). Thanks, Frank

Start with the basics. Have a good look in both ends of the pump, and the run it on the hose to see if the noise is still there. If it is try to determine if it is from the pump area or the engine.

Hopefully it was just some debris in the pump, but let us know what you find when you try it on the hose.

Aaron:cheers:

Time to think.....

Sorry I had a brain fart on my first post.

Does your boat still have the Hydro Surge intake grate on it??? If it does you may have lost a tine and sucked it into the pump. These grates are well known for this and would cause an issue just like you described. Have a look under the boat and see if any of the intake tines are missing. If they are you may be stuck replacing the wear ring housing and impeller.

If this is the problem and you want to see if it is still saveable, remove what is left of the Hydro Surge grate and take the boat for a run without it. If all is good replace it with the six tine fixed aluminum grate from Mercury. Part number 852962T.

Well, finally was able to drag it out of the garage today and it didn't sound pretty. I checked what you suggested the next day but wasn't able to get back to it till today. To me, it sounds like a rod knocking/spun bearing or maybe a u-joint type noise down below. It sounds awful The impeller/grate all look to be intact as far as I can tell. I'm thinking of starting with a compression check for starters... wadda you guys think?
Whatever it is, it's most likely gonna get repaired by me. I'm a mechanic by trade. Unfortunately, it's jets (the ones that fly above) that I have experience on -don't have a lick of experience on boat motors. I just need someone to point me in the right direction and I'll auger thru it eventually, no matter how deep I go. Been there.
I'm gonna start shopping for a service manual this week and go from there. Any imput you guys might have will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Frank

Are these Mercs prone to spinning a bearing or maybe burning a hole in a piston? How bout the engine connection to the jet-pump. Is there a gearset type setup?
Thanks again,
Frank

Keep in mind that these boats do not make pretty noises when run out of water. Sounds like metal clinking around. I know you had the issue on the water...but you might think it is worse than it really is when listening to it out of the water.

Matt

Frank the Mercury is no more prone to engine trouble than any other make, but it certainly isn't immune to it either. Start with the compression test and see what you can find. If you do feel it may be a rod knock you can try to isolate it by removing one plug wire at a time and see if the noise stops with any specific cylinder.

If you have a stethoscope you may be able to tell if the noise is coming from the engine or the pump by running the boat on the hose.

To answer your last question there are gears in the front of the pump. The engine sits vertically in the hull with the drive shaft pointing straight down and joins the impeller drive shaft with at set of pinion gears.

If you don't have a manual the premium membership is the cheapest way to get one. I have the paper version for my 200 and it cost me a hundred bucks at the dealer.

Aaron

Edit:

Back to your original post, when you say you lost power do you mean you lost RPM and speed, or did the motor still rev fine but you lost speed?

Last edited by a moderator:
Are these Mercs prone to spinning a bearing or maybe burning a hole in a piston? How bout the engine connection to the jet-pump. Is there a gearset type setup?
Thanks again,
Frank

They are direct drive, no gears only the driveshaft and an impeller.

Gears

Sorry DCKD thats the Rotax setup you're thinking of that is direct drive. The Mercs do have to run a gear set due to the way the motor sits in the hull.

+1 on that it does have a pinion gear to transfer from the vertical (powerhead) to the horizontal (impeller shaft) much like a the pumpkin/ring gear in the rear end of a car.

hahaha I guess I shouldn't assume things. I figured they would be a similar setup. Guess I was wrong....no more posting unless I am sure. Sorry boys!

Matt

Well, finally was able to get time to pull the plugs and it doesn't look pretty. The lower cyl on the left bank is about half obstructed with what looks like metal. I'd like to think it was carbon buildup (ha!) but I'm afraid its melted piston material. I'm waiting for the Merc manual to arrive in the mail and I guess I'll plan on pulling the head and eventually the motor. I've read a bit on these forums and haven't found much info on people rebuilding these (210hp M2) engines. I noticed one fellow commented that he couldn't find a sleeve for one of his jugs and wound up replacing the whole powerhead. Boy, sure hope that's not what I'm in for.
Either way, will keep you guys posted and do appreciate any more advice.
Thanks, Frank

Problem confirmed -finally got around to pulling the head. Lower cyl on left side has cracked sleeve and piston. Gonna pull the powerhead now. Anybody ever repl'd a sleeve before?

Resleeving is one of those things you`re going to have to find a machine shop to do. They`ll need to remove the old one and bore the new one to size after pressing it in place.

That's a good place to remember if anyone needs a sleeve for just about anything. I see they also offer install service on the sleeves. To bad there not in the same area as you.

Aaron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back