Utopia 205 question on control

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

JTFL

I'm in the market for a bigger boat, they are slim pickings right now.

My choices in the Sea-Doo line (I don't want 2 stroke, or electronic throttle modules) are,

Challenger 180 ? It might be too small still, I have to think of chop in the Gulf.

I enjoyed the Sportser 215 SCIC in the Gulf. It was a lot of fun in the common 1-2 foot chop range, but not fun for anyone else, not a good Gulf family boat. Best as a jetski on steroids ish.

Utopia 205.

Speedster 200.

Challenger 230.

I favor the seating (for passenger comfort) of the Utopia and Challenger 230 and the weight of the 230. I favor the controls of the Speedster.

Here are my observations, though I would rather have separate throttle control for each engine so they can be properly dialed in like the Speedster 200 has, it appears the Challenger 230 is at least using 1 stick for throttle (2 cables attached to both throttle bodies) and 1 stick for both reverse thrust vectors. This still allows the operator to be able to "hover" by adjusting the right amount of reverse thrust angle to truly control or find true or balanced neutral.

(I have taught my kids how to have complete control at the docks by using buoys to train them to have the bow pointed always toward the buoy but moving around left and right without forward or reverse motion). This is the beauty of jets, control and shallow operation.

The Utopia confusses me with only 1 stick, that means there are 4 cables attached to it's function, can this boat be brought into "hover" with 1 stick? My concern is that the stick can only be in forward, reverse, or neutral as positions, and without balance, since neutral does not exist like a prop boat with a transmission. Does anyone have experience with this particular boat that can answer the question of "hover" for me before driving long distances and wasting my time on it?

Any input is very appreciated, thank you.

I have a 2006 utopia 205, once i got the reverse buckets adjusted properly I have no problem ”hovering” the boat In one spot. I really liked the layout of the utopia that’s why I went with it

Bought our Wake 230 (same setup as the Challenger 230) six seasons ago, and have had a blast with it. Big and heavy enough for good sized chop, small enough to trailer around when we want to go anywhere.

Being my first jet boat, the controls were something to get used to, especially in and around the docks and launches. It did help when I adjusted by buckets down a bit, so my neutral is close to actually being neutral, creeps forward a little bit.

The single throttle control is no big issue, even though the rpm's tend to run 200-500 rpm different. I keep meaning to sync those up on the throttle bodies, as I'm pretty sure I could get them closer than they are. They are dead even at idle, but the pull on the starboard motor is slightly delayed it seems like, resulting in the lower rpm. From what I've read, very common issue on the twin engine/single throttle boats.

Layout of the 230 is fantastic, especially with the bow filler cushions. They make the front a giant tanning bed, and being 6'6, I can appreciate the extra length to hang out there. I've looked at other boats over the years, but no boat has that big of a front area, and for what we do, this boat does everything it needs to.

Good luck with the shopping!

No trouble hovering in neutral with our 2006 Utopia 205 SE 310 . Would have loved to move up to a 230 if I could have found one when we bought the Utopia, but was limited in what I could (double) tow with my old truck. No longer an issue but the Utopia has been serving us well since 2014.

I have my engines sync'd up pretty close at idle but don't think it matters much.

Upgrade,

I bought a 2008 SeaDoo 230 with twin 155's and a new aluminum Karavan trailer. My family and I really like the boat, and I'm so impressed with it's ability to handle Gulf chop with ease.

With my old Sportster 215 I felt every MPH, for good and bad, this 230 is heavy enough that speed creeps on you. I didn't mind the sportster and its performance but the family is now trying to find excuses to come out on the water in the 230... and for me it's about smiles per mile and the 230 delivers.

I want to thank all that helped me and contributed to my purchase decision approximately a month ago, and this boat was Georgia fresh water.

What is your concern about electronic throttle bodies? I have a 2012 C230, and it might be the best boat Seadoo ever made.

I have no doubt they run great! My concern with them is cost and salt, though I am surprised at how very little water actually gets in the bilge with these boats as compared to my old Sportster, the air is salt and that will cause problems with the ETM's. A throttle body is very unlikely to fail, and out in the ocean, I like keeping things as simple as I can.

The other extra expense with the ETM's and salt water use are the catalytic converters that are bathed in salt. They will need replacing like the exhaust manifolds on a regular basis but those cats are very expensive.

If I were richer, I wouldn't be that concerned. Enjoy that 2012 C230, I think you share the same system as on all the C210's?, and the layout of the C210 is still impressive by today's standards in my opinion.

By the way, do you have any upgrades to your Karavan trailer? Anything to help with launch and recovery like keel rollers or bow support bunks? Launch and recovery is another problem I'm trying to tackle with shallow salt water ramps.

I have no doubt they run great! My concern with them is cost and salt, though I am surprised at how very little water actually gets in the bilge with these boats as compared to my old Sportster, the air is salt and that will cause problems with the ETM's. A throttle body is very unlikely to fail, and out in the ocean, I like keeping things as simple as I can.

The other extra expense with the ETM's and salt water use are the catalytic converters that are bathed in salt. They will need replacing like the exhaust manifolds on a regular basis but those cats are very expensive.

If I were richer, I wouldn't be that concerned. Enjoy that 2012 C230, I think you share the same system as on all the C210's?, and the layout of the C210 is still impressive by today's standards in my opinion.

By the way, do you have any upgrades to your Karavan trailer? Anything to help with launch and recovery like keel rollers or bow support bunks? Launch and recovery is another problem I'm trying to tackle with shallow salt water ramps.
I don’t have a catalytic converter, never saw one on a Seadoo boat. I spray my throttle body with anti-rust spray a couple of times a year. Also important to flush the exhaust after every trip. I expect my exhaust manifolds to last a long time. The only thing I did to the trailer is add post type guides. I think they have helped a lot when the current is moving, or when there are swells at the ramp. I am 100% saltwater, Cape Cod. The trailer for the 230 comes with a keel roller near the front of the trailer, but I’m not sure it does much. The best way to keep the front in line is to put the trailer in more shallow so you make contact with the bunks sooner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back