Trolling motor for 2004 challenger?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Red0471

Anyone have any knowledge on what type of trolling motor I should get for this type of boat? I would guess I would want a bow mount? Thanks

I just ordered a riptide with ipilot for mine. Got the quick release mount, both on amazon. I won't put fishing seats on it because i like to stand on the swim deck. I'll simply record a few banks and play them back forward and reverse. throw the motor in the ski storage and it's gone. I'll add a second deep cycle and keep it separate from the existing electrical system. Charge it at home between trips.

I know the riptide is overkill but it's sealed for salt water and it's white. For the high price for a gps trolling motor I'd rather spend the extra hundred for the salt water one. totaled 1140 for the mount and motor.

Have you got pictures of your mount? I would love to see how you did it. The MinnKota quick release mount only leaves behind that "puck" and should still allow you to use the standard cover if installed right.

Someone on the the Yamaha JetBoaters site put this MinnKota with Quick Release on his boat. He took small pipe pieces and ground the end to the shape of his hull. Cut the other ends off so that the plate would mount parallel with the water. Then ran his bolts through the hull, pipe pieces and quick release. I thought it looked great!

bowmount.jpg

I'll post pics. I've received the mounting plate, motor still in shipping. I would like to mount it on the point of the the nose but it's angled which would require building up, thought about using pvc cut at angles for the angled mount but instead I will keep it simple. On the speedster about 3 feet from the nose down the drivers side is a flat foot pad on the top edge of the boat. It's textured fiberglass for foot traction. It is also the only level place on the nose. I will most likely use that location which will cause the boat to be pulled at a slight angle by the trolling motor. Without an outdrive stuck down in the water to act as a rudder I will have to tow a mushroom anchor on a 2 foot long rope off the rear to keep the rear of the boat from passing the front when the motor turns off or in wind/waves. I will simply offset the mushroom anchor being towed on the 2 foot long rope toward the passengers side to compensate. The 55 pound thrust riptide is a bit of an overkill anyway.

Thanks for the pic, I will have to go this route also, no room on the step from the side. That pic looks great. Bolts with nuts holding the position of the puck on the quick release with white pvc couplings surrounding the bolts will work nice also. Easier to cut. Three more days b4 the motor arrives.

That would work too. I thought about that idea as well. A person could use longer bolts and just space it with a particular amount of nuts between the plate and hull.

If I do it, i may try the pipe, then pad the ends of the pipe/tubing with rubber washers.

I put the battery under and in front of the dash storage box.

I cut a hole just big enough for my arm behind the front yellow upper seat back.

1/2 inch pvc standoffs from lowes with stainless bolts that came with the quick release mount.

The motor it bigger than I expected. 54 inches in length makes it not fit for storage. I'll have to leave it in the jeep when I don't use it on the water.

Now, to go try it out until this remote becomes second nature.

54.jpg

55.jpg

56.jpg

That looks great! I hope that PVC holds up.

When the motor is removed, does it just leave the quick release "puck" as they call it? Can you get your cover on the boat without worrying about snagging it, or it getting torn?

Nice work, please report back as I feel this will be a popular thread. I do like the white as well.

I hope the pvc holds up too. If not I'll replace it with the stainless. The right rear bolt has no pvc, only a rubber washer that came with the kit.
57.jpg

58.jpg

That is a very clean install, I love it. And if a person had kids, they would not snag their suits or their butt on it jumping over the bow, as they all do!

Heck, I see some other attachments that could go on a second quick release! (smile)

1. Bow Umbrella
2. Blender (with power to the battery)
3. Grill

OK, now I am just being silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back