trailer work

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

dlowings

I noticed that my bearing covers on one side of my trailer was leaking so I went and got a new one. After inspection the old cover that goes on the outside with the rubber stopper was damaged. I picked up a new one and went to press it in the axel part of the wheel bearing it dont fit so well... I hit it with a rubber hammer and it dont want to go in... If I put the cover in the freezer and leave the trailer in the sun all day, will it make any difference trying to put the cover on ?

Not sure if that will make any difference but it is worth a try. I can tell you that they are pretty hard to get on....you have to make sure they are lined up just right. If they are on even the slightest angle it will be impossible.

Matt

Matt, if the cap was a easy fit or a loose fit it would just pop off when it got the slight bit warm. It has to have a tight fit to stay on , and not allow water ti enter. Align it up perfect and tap it on with a rubber mallet.

Karl

different sizes

possible, that your hub assy opening is 1.98, and you got buddies of 2.04, or hub size is 1.78, and you got 1.98 sizes...

well after hours of messsing with it nothing was working :( I finnaly took a grinder to the very outside edge and scuffed it down very lightly.. Once I got it started it was a VERY tight fit..

They are supposed to be a very tight fit cause you don't want any water getting in there. Now that you have it on you should pump it full of grease with a grease gun.

well after hours of messsing with it nothing was working :( I finnaly took a grinder to the very outside edge and scuffed it down very lightly.. Once I got it started it was a VERY tight fit..

huh..built a few trailers and recently replaced 4 sets of hubs/wheels, and not had that problem. Think, if I went your route for it to work, I then would swab some silicone around it(hub and buddy meeting) just for peace of mind...just a thought

I'll guarantee you will loose the bearing cap on the first trip. Better buy the correct size. I rebuild about 200 trailers a year. I'm a Draw-tite dealer for the past 30+ years. I have never had to file down a cap to fit if you have the correct size.

Karl

Back