Trailer tire getting hot!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
On my pontoon trailer we had a blow out a few weeks back. Tire and rim were scalding to the touch. I figured we hd a bad hub. I put a new wheel and tire on and went out today. Same position if getting hotter than the other wheel tire on that side. so again I figured it was the hub, but the hub is way cooler to the touch than and rim and tire. The new wheel and tire was purchased just to get us home that day. It is a load range B while the other are C. Im sure the load range has some to do with it but both load tires, B and C have the same capacity per the side of the tire. Tire seems to run true, not rubbing anywhere and no wobble. So any thoughts on what could cause this?

This hub does not have a brake and the air pressure was correct. This has me stumped, but its back at the dealer for repairs. My oldest son,14y/o unhooked the trailer from the truck and it ran 200' down a hill and into a ditch snapping off the motor! So got the dealer to look into the trailer issue while its there.....

Attachments

• IMG_5025.JPG
    IMG_5025.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 36
Hello,
Bad and/or poorly lubricated wheel bearings can also cause heat build up.
If is from poor lubrication you may want to consider replacing them anyways.

Its on the list for repairs along with everything else now. On the last outing though, the wheel and tire are hotter than the hub. So unless the wheel can suck out heat faster than the hub i wouldn't think its the hub. There was a noticeable difference in the temp between the tire/wheel and hub. You could only keep your hand on the wheel or tire of about 5 secs before it became to hot, and the hub was cool to the touch. I can only assume that the wheel/tire might be out of alignment causing more friction to build in the tire....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back