trailer lights???

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

glsmohio

Ok guys I feel like every time i pull my trailer out somethings wrong with the lights. i have spend $25 on a set all the way to $60 a set. I have an aluminum trailer. what do you guys run for lights?

I just run the crappy incandesent lights that came on the trailer but I always disconnect them before backing down the ramp b/c cold water on hot glass results in a broken bulb most of the time.

Water trapped inside the lens will slosh up onto a hot bulb and crack the glass.

Yes, the sockets will corrode inside, when this happens I solder wires to my bulb terminals and feed them through the gutted socket. You can even solder a ground conductor to the bulbs base. The tension spring inside is particularly prone to corrosion, sometimes I just replace the spring.

There's all kinds of ways to get these old trailer lights working, salt is especially rough on them.

But there are nice waterproof ones out there that are pretty robust, it's just that I'm a penny pincher I guess. Yes, I've had about the same experiences you describe, it's easier fo me just to repair them b/c you never know when one gets smashed anyway.

Then there's the approach of finding a set someone else has tossed in the dumpster and repair them, I've done that as well. :)

I do the same thing as you disconnect my trailer lights before I drop in. Since I started that I have no issues with my jet ski or boat trailer lights other than once in a blue moon change them after 2-3 years maybe. I would try that.

I do the same thing as you disconnect my trailer lights before I drop in. Since I started that I have no issues with my jet ski or boat trailer lights other than once in a blue moon change them after 2-3 years maybe. I would try that.
Same. First time I dipped the trailer I left the lights plugged in and when I came back out, the right taillight was out. Bought new to replace but then after cleaning, the old bulbs worked just fine. Bulbs are cheap so now I’ve got extra. Part of the pre-drop procedure now is to always pull the lights. Not a problem since.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back