Traction mats for $35

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

wrenches84

Hi all , I am new to the forum and wanted to share some work I did recently hoping that anyone on a really tight budget like me can get back on the water asap . My traction mats on my 95 xp went bad as they were the the original mats and been through many years of Australian weather . We only just had a baby so the cost of hydro turf was out of the question and we had more than half of summer to go

53.jpg

As you can see the old mats were lifting and rotten

54.jpg

I got some poly turf which is closed cell foam camping mats which i have tested wet and worked just as well as the hydro turf on my spx and got some parfix gel bond contact cement and a spatula all this is available at bunnings
55.jpg

56.jpg

I removed the old mats with pincers as they were riveted on, the surface under the foot well mats is textured and so I just cleaned these with acetone to prep but the swim deck was smooth so I used a grinder to scuff the surface before cleaning but you need to take care as the grinder makes quick work of gel coat .

57.jpg
58.jpg
59.jpg

I used a sptula to aply the gel bond to the poly turf and the pwc deck and waited till it was touch dry and then instaled them using a rolling pin to ensure they were down hard .

60.jpg

And presto new traction mats for $35 they have done well over the last few weeks and are more comfortable under foot than my hydro turf

Last edited by a moderator:
Got to make do with what you got. Especially in the land down under. Great job and let us know how it holds up. Also on your hood some softscrub with bleach and a scotch bright pad will clean it up on the cheap.

Thanks for the advice on the hood , I painted my spx hood but i like the retro look of the xp so im definitely going to try your trick

70.jpg

Nice ole XP. Way it keep it in service and appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got to make do with what you got. Especially in the land down under. Great job and let us know how it holds up. Also on your hood some softscrub with bleach and a scotch bright pad will clean it up on the cheap.
Just hit the hood on the xp today , thanks heaps it turned out so good
121.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back